DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Odyssey 7Q - in really low temperatures (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/524506-odyssey-7q-really-low-temperatures.html)

Ole Salomonsen August 14th, 2014 02:49 AM

Odyssey 7Q - in really low temperatures

Hi,

have anyone had any experience with the 7Q and the SSD's in really low operating temperatures?

I know it is specified at down to -10C (14F) operating temp, but I wonder if anyone have used it at those temps or even lower.

I will be shooting a lot out during winter, and where I live it can be cold, sometimes down to -15, and occasionally even lower (-20C).

I know I will need a lot of batteries since lithium batteries don't like cold, but I am curious how the 7Q and the SSD's will fare in this environment. Any tips on how I can "protect" the 7Q in best possible way?

Taking your gear from outside in lower temps (-10C) into your car with (+10C) can be challenging. I've done this for years with my other cameras, but they are weather sealed (5D, 1DX etc etc..).
What I tend to do is to leave the electronic gear in the back of my car when done shooting or switching location, partially covered by a plastic bag and drive with the windows open so the electronic gear slowly gets room temperature and avoid to condensate.
Sometimes when I've had really low temps, I pack the gear in the camera bag while on location before heading home, let it sit in a moderately cold room over night, and do not open until next day.

Never had any issues with neither of my cameras or lenses, but I realize the 7Q may not initially be designed for my shooting temperatures!?

Ole

Mat Thompson August 14th, 2014 03:47 AM

Re: Odyssey 7Q - in really low temperatures

Hi Ole

I'm not sure about the lows but I just shot the 7Q out in the Phillipines in 35+ . As long as it didn't sit directly in the sun it performed fine. If it caught too much direct sun then it would go over the 60degs mark and stop being able to record for safety. Dropping quickly back into a safe zone once under some sort of shade.

Much like me in the same conditions funnilly enough.

I'd be interested to know more about your trip.

Thanks
Mat

Ole Salomonsen August 14th, 2014 12:30 PM

Mat,

glad to hear the unitīs safety break for too high temps does work :) - Shouldnīt be a reason for it to switch off for the cold though!? The unit will have low operating temperatures. Just curious how the 7Q handles it and how the low temps affects operating time, and if condensation becomes a problem with this unit.

I have a rain cover I will probably use with the 7Q, not sure it will help much against cold though.
Maybe a tight cover of neoprene fabric could?

If somebody has any experience, let me know. I will keep you updated during winter.

Ole

Dan Keaton August 16th, 2014 06:01 AM

Dear Ole,

The Odyssey7Q has been used North of the Artic Circle, without a problem, according to one of our users.

Respectfully,