The BP-U60T and the Odyssey 7Q at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 15th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #1
Inner Circle

The BP-U60T and the Odyssey 7Q

There may be some Sony F3 users still using the BP-U series batteries. There is a official Sony BP-U battery with 4-pin Hirose output, will the Odyssey 7Q run off of a BP-U60T? The BP-U60T has a 2A maximum output, just like a D-tap.

I know for certain it will run on third party D-tap BP-U batteries, but I've not seen a single person tackle using the official Sony battery that actually has a 4-pin output.

Before you say FS7, that would only work in this scenario for 1080 recording, not RAW recording, which would use V-mount and the Hirose on the extension bracket. This is more for F3 owners.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 09:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: The BP-U60T and the Odyssey 7Q

I'd love to hear from someone who has it to find out what the polarity of the connector is. As I recall, C-D and Sound Devices use the same connector - but with opposite polarities!
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 08:32 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Jack,

The 2 amp maximum rating of the Hirose connector output of the Sony BP-u90T battery is a cause for concern.

This is a nominal 14.4 volt battery.

I am assuming that the cutoff voltage is around 10.5, but it may be different.

We want any power supply for the Odyssey7Q to be able to supply instantaneously, 24 watts..
SSD's draw more power, instantaneously, when going from an idle state to full recording speed, then the power requirements drop off.

The maximum average power that the Odyssey7Q draws is 15.6 watts, recording FS700 Raw, 2K, 12-Bits, at 240 fps.

But, we need up to 24 watts to start.
Thus, we draw up to 2.28 amps at 10.5 volts.

Also, Hirose's specifications for the Hirose Connector is 1.5 amps per pin, so it depends on how this is wired, whether two pins are used for ground and two pins are used for positive.

--------------------------------------

It is very dangerous for us to offer a 4-Pin Hirose Power Cable for any of our products, the nanoFlash, the Gemini 4:4:4 or the Odyssey7/7Q.

Many professional cameras, with 4-Pin Hirose power outputs, are capable of 1.5 amps maximum.

But, equally professional cameras, from the same manufacturer only supply a maximum of 200 miiliwatts.

There are professional cameras that exist today, that can be destroyed by drawing more than 200 milliwatts.
(By destroyed, I mean causing well over $5,000 in damage instantly.)

Since it is very feasible for someone to assume that it is ok to plug in the 4-Pin Hirose connector to any camera's power output, without realizing the damage that could be done, we do not want to supply this cable.

There are other battery solutions that have P-Tap (D-Tap) power outputs, and these are fine to use if the battery can provide 24 watts of power.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Old September 17th, 2014, 08:39 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sperling View Post
I'd love to hear from someone who has it to find out what the polarity of the connector is. As I recall, C-D and Sound Devices use the same connector - but with opposite polarities!
Dear Dave,

When we designed the nanoFlash, we used Male Pins on the Hirose connector on the nanoFlash, since Male pins rarely wear out, compared to female pins.

In our design, the female pins are on the cable, which can easily be replaced versus sending in the nanoFlash for repair.

The Toshiba POV cameras were in use at that time, and still are, and they used the same configuration.

And since Toshiba POV cameras were expected to be used with the nanoFlash, we followed their wiring plan, which was different than the common plan in use.

For our nanoFlash, for the Hirose power connector, Pin 1 and 2 are Positive and Pin 3 and 4 are ground.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Old September 22nd, 2014, 06:43 AM   #5
Tourist

Does anybody know what type of power connector is used on the 7Q? Where can I order one?
Bill Antalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 06:51 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Antalek View Post
Does anybody know what type of power connector is used on the 7Q? Where can I order one?
You can order that from CD or AbleCine

https://www.convergent-design.com/ac...wer-cable.html

Convergent Design Flying Lead to Neutrik Power Cable - 36" :: Monitor Brackets, Supports and Accessories :: Monitors :: Equipment Sales :: AbelCine
Old September 22nd, 2014, 10:03 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Bill,

The Odyssey7/Odyssey7Q power connector is a very reliable connector, if it is properly assembled.

But, it is difficult to assemble properly, so we offer a 36" long cable with the connector on one end and bare leads on the other.

This is available, or can be ordered from our dealers.

Respectfully,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey