Issues with Q7 after approx 30 mins record at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 15th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #1
Tourist

Issues with Q7 after approx 30 mins record

I've had a few recent failures with the Odyssey Q7 when recording with an FS700.

Everything is going well then with no warning or for no apparent reason, the Odyssey looses connection: "Lost video input during record" flashes up, the screen goes corrupted and pixelated or black. Strange thing is this has now happened three times whilst recording interviews where NO ONE WAS TOUCHING THE CAMERA. i.e. - no leaning on an SDI cable etc.

Interestingly, I can't stop the FS700 recording (as at this point its our only take) and sometimes the Odyssey starts recording again after a while, then it stops again, then starts again randomly.

After the first time this error occurred, I swapped the SDI cable just in case, after the second time, I swapped the SDI cable again (I am using HQ SDI cables with no apparent wear). It just happened again in another interview.

I've checked the SSDs, I format them in between jobs.

I power the Odyssey from a Sony 970 L series - which almost always has a full charge at the start.

In the all the cases where the failure has occurred it's been somewhere between 15mins to 40mins into a single shot. It then goes on to record random snippets of footage after that...

I was waiting to see if a firmware update would fix this issue, but as it's been delayed, I thought I'd post here to see if anyone else has ever had a similar problem?

Setup:

Odyessy Q7, 2 x 256Gb CD SSDs
Sony L series 970 battery, Nebtek battery plate
Shooting 4K>HD ProRes
SDI connection (currently using a Cinecoil SDI cable)
FS700

I live in Australia - so sending it in for a quick check up is a pain (especially with our shooting schedule).
Anyone had a similar problem?

Shaun
Shaun Humphreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 11:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Issues with Q7 after approx 30 mins record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Humphreys View Post
I've had a few recent failures with the Odyssey Q7 when recording with an FS700.

Everything is going well then with no warning or for no apparent reason, the Odyssey looses connection: "Lost video input during record" flashes up, the screen goes corrupted and pixelated or black. Strange thing is this has now happened three times whilst recording interviews where NO ONE WAS TOUCHING THE CAMERA. i.e. - no leaning on an SDI cable etc.
When recording from the FS700, you need a good HD-SDI 3G Rated cable, not a normal HD-SDI 1.5G rated cable. If you are using a 1.5G rated cable, then the problems that you are experiencing could be expected. The signal from the FS700 to the Odyssey7Q is 2.97 Gigabits per second and you need the HD-SDI 3G rated cable.

If we get errors, and you will with a 1.5G rated cable, (at times, not 100% of the time), then we will issue the "Lost video input during record" error message.

Quote:
Interestingly, I can't stop the FS700 recording (as at this point its our only take) and sometimes the Odyssey starts recording again after a while, then it stops again, then starts again randomly.

After the first time this error occurred, I swapped the SDI cable just in case, after the second time, I swapped the SDI cable again (I am using HQ SDI cables with no apparent wear). It just happened again in another interview.

I've checked the SSDs, I format them in between jobs.

I power the Odyssey from a Sony 970 L series - which almost always has a full charge at the start.

In the all the cases where the failure has occurred it's been somewhere between 15mins to 40mins into a single shot. It then goes on to record random snippets of footage after that...

I was waiting to see if a firmware update would fix this issue, but as it's been delayed, I thought I'd post here to see if anyone else has ever had a similar problem?

Setup:

Odyessy Q7, 2 x 256Gb CD SSDs
Sony L series 970 battery, Nebtek battery plate
Shooting 4K>HD ProRes
SDI connection (currently using a Cinecoil SDI cable)
FS700
Please use another HD-SDI 3G rated cable, as opposed to using a Cinecoil.

I am not saying that the Cinecoil cables are bad, I am saying that others have had the same issue when using Cinecoil cables.

Quote:
I live in Australia - so sending it in for a quick check up is a pain (especially with our shooting schedule).
Anyone had a similar problem?

Shaun
Old October 15th, 2014, 05:50 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks Dan,

I'm very confused about SDI cables

I've had this error happen with two cables prior to Cinecoil one.

Both were Beldon 'Video Brilliance' HD-SDI rated to 4.5Ghz - should these have worked?
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:30 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Shaun,

The Belden 4.5 GHz cable itself that you were using is certainly capable of HD-SDI 3G.

The second part of the equation is what BNC connectors were on these cables.

Many BNC connectors are limited to 1.5 GHz while others are rated for 3 GHz or higher.

Canare, a very high quality cable and BNC connector company, sold 1.5G Hz rated BNC Connectors for many years.

Then, they came out with BNC connectors rated for 3 GHz or higher.

The very thin, very flexible, very lightweight HD-SDI 3G cables that we make and sell through our dealers are exceptionally good.

Of course you may use any HD-SDI 3G rated cable that you wish, but based on the information that you provided, it certainly looks like a cable issue to me at this time.

Are you near a Convergent Design dealer?

You could call New Magic, (03) 9722 9700, and they may be able to find a dealer near you.

Also, you could run this test.

Switch your FS700 to HD mode, 1080p24 or 1080p30, then put the Odyssey7Q into 4:2:2 ProRes mode.

(This will force the FS700 to output HD-SDI at 1.5 GHz).

Then record for one hour or more using any cable that you wish to test.

If the cable is good (for 1.5 GHz), then I would not expect any problems.

Then if you switch back to 2K Raw or 4K Raw and setup the Odyssey7Q for FS700 Raw, then you may have problems. This would then indicate that the cable is not perfect for HD-SDI 3G (2.97 GHz).

Also, you may call me: ++ seven one nine --- nine three zero --- one three seven six

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,

Dan Keaton
Convergent Design
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:27 PM   #5
Tourist

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your in depth reply - all good food for thought.

I've had a closer look at the cables I've used (disregarding the Cinecoil - as you mentioned that people have had problems with them before)

I'm currently using a Belden 4.5Ghz rated cable with KINGS 2065-2-9 BNC plugs (which claim to be rated to 3.0Ghz) - yet I have had an error with this one during a recent shoot. The cable itself looks well made and in pristine condition. This cable should work.

As suggested, I'm currently running a test with this cable with the FS700 set to 4k RAW and the Odyssey set to 4K>HD ProRes. Both camera and Odyssey are being powered from AC adaptors. I'll let you know how it goes.

I called my reseller who mentioned that New Magic don't currently import the CD cables - but maybe I'll give them a call to double check that.

Thanks for you help to date.

Regards

Shaun
Old October 19th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #6
Major Player

Dan, any chance CD can make up a pair of those cables with properly rated right angle connectors that have strain reliefs? I have the Cinecoils and so far have not had any problems, but the ergonomics of purpose-built right angle connectors works out well.
Old October 19th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Dave,

We would have to find some proper HD-SDI 3G 75-Ohm right angle connectors.

Personally, I have not searched for these yet.

One point that I wanted to make about Shaun's HD-SDI cables, is that the BNC connector has to be matched to the specific cable being used.

We like our thin, lightweight HD-SDI 3G cables, since they pass the HD-SDI 3G signals very cleanly.

We can search for Right-Angle Connectors for our cables.

Respectfully,
Old October 21st, 2014, 12:56 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Dan....right angle connectors with quality strain reliefs keep the cable from flapping out in the breeze from the bottom of the 7Q. As to the back of the FS700, I route the cable sideways to the right and can clip it into one of the two little plastic guides built into the FS700. So in both connections, right angle connectors seem to cleanup wires dangling all over the place which would otherwise violate the fundamental aesthetic rules of pimping ones rig. ;)
Old October 21st, 2014, 04:14 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Dave,

We are searching for suitable right-angle connectors.

Respectfully,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey