7Q andCamWave at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 23rd, 2014, 12:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

7Q andCamWave

When using the 7Q output (A or B) and fed into an IDX camwave transmitter, the receiver outputs a distorted signal. When coming from any other device there are no problems with the signal.
For some reason the marshall fieldmonitor I gives a 24p 1920 detection, but I use 25p. The full chain is tested without the camwave and all devices i have and everything seems ok.
The odessey is the only device which cannot output the right signal for the camwave.
I work as a steadicam operator and had loads of different brand devices connected to the camwave without problems. Seems that the 7Q out does something to the signal out of the Sdi tolerance!
Due to the fact that more and more (4k) cameras have only 1 SDI out, there is no simple way to put the 7Q at the end of the SDI chain.
Attached Files
File Type: mov trim.ADDD1134-7DC8-4D74-847D-C2B2FFA81122.MOV (411.0 KB, 155 views)
Ron Aerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 7Q andCamWave

Dear Ron,

We will be happy to research this problem.

Please send me a private email, with the camera that you are using, and the format, which I assume is 1080p25.

It appears that you are stating that if the input to the Odyssey7Q is 1080p25, we output 1080p24 over the HD-SDI outputs.

Do you have Overlays Off, and Record Tally off?

Please let us know the firmware release number that you are using.

This is found in Odyssey|About.

Or you can call me at: seven one nine -- nine three zero --- one three seven six.

Respectfully,
Old October 25th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Ron,

1080p25 can be 1080p25 (true progressive) or 1080psf25 which is more common.

Many cameras output 1080psf25 (Progressive Segmented Frames).

The Odyssey7Q can accept both.

In PSF, the odd frame lines are in one field, and the even frame lines are in the other field within one frame of video.

This is done so that monitors that support interlaced only can display an image from a Progressive camera.

In the Odyssey7Q, we take the PSF frames and extract pure progressive, since that is the best way to record the images.

But, here is the problem.

If your camera is outputting 1080psf25, then we process this, and our HD-SDI output is 1080p25 (not PSF).

I would assume that the CamWave can accept true 1080p25 (true progressive), but the monitor at the CamWave Receiver may not be able to handle true 1080p25.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Old February 16th, 2015, 10:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I tested with the new 7Q+
On the input i give HD 1080 25p or 50p signals (Sony F3), with progressive cadence. (no interlaced)
under output options the function "psf out" to value "off" the camwave does not work
this set to value "on" the camwave works OK. I assume this means that the (old) camwave system only accept signals up to 50i or 25 psf... But workable, as long as I stay in HD

When I feed the 7Q+ with a 4K HDMI signal (A7s), the output option for psf is grayed out (on value "off") and I have no signal anymore on the camwave system, same with an older type viewfinder I use

Is it possible to get the psf function on the output also in the UHD input modes?
I think for a lot of vintage equipment (this means older then 3 years in this business) this would be very useful

please?

thanks, Ron
Old February 20th, 2015, 01:17 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Ron,

We will look into your request.

I will alert our team.

I have tested our very latest firmware, and with Ultra-HD coming in, we do not support the PSF output feature, but we do support normal 1080p (progressive) output at this time.

Respectfully,
Old February 20th, 2015, 04:35 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Ron,

I have spoken with our Chief Engineer.

We will be adding the feature that you have requested

This is not a minor change, so please allow us some time to implement your request.

This will not make it into our very next firmware release, as it is too late for that, but stay tuned.

Respectfully,
Old March 4th, 2015, 12:12 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks, lot of us will be looking forward seeing this psf output work!
Old March 6th, 2015, 03:31 PM   #8
Major Player

Anyone who doubts that Convergent Design works at the speed of light to support their product and buyers needs to read this thread.

I remember when Apple had an OSX version that didn't properly communicate via the mini display port to projectors, rendering the footage into some bizarre charade 90% of the time...and it took Apple 2 years to fix it, always refusing to acknowledge any problem.

Well done Dan and C.D!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey