Buyer Beware False Advertising at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old November 14th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #1
New Boot

Buyer Beware False Advertising

Is this even legal? This is what is so frustrating to me- YOU CLAIM IT WORKS WITH CANON C500 BUT IT DOESN'T. You should pull these ads and issue refunds to all the people who buy this thinking they can record 4K Apple ProRes with a Canon C500- ridiculous- you can't possibly sell something saying it does what it does not do and then hope to remedy the bait and switch with a future firmware update- I am selling mine- you guys are lame. So tired of companies that offer firmware updates as remedies for pre mature product launch. Dan- you've been so responsive and great at addressing customers needs and fixing hiccups but come on man- how do explain this false advertising? And you saying that your "actively working to add 4K Apple ProRes 422 HQ for the Canon C500" means that it does not currently and that your company should not advertise that it does.

- your ad in the Dec 2014 HDVideoPro magazine-

one pictures here say's "Record 4K ProRes to premium quality SSD media from Somy FS7, FS700, F55, Canon C500, GH4, and More" false advertising

And this one- "use with any camera". well that would make me believe i could record 4K ProRes from "any camera" But Alas- more misleading info.
Attached Thumbnails
Buyer Beware False Advertising-img_1843.jpg   Buyer Beware False Advertising-img_1844.jpg  

Buyer Beware False Advertising-img_1845.jpg  
Chris Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 09:36 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Buyer Beware False Advertising

Dear Chris,

I just read the ad that you posted. I do not have the full ad handy, as I am traveling.

I did not see any mention that recording 4K Raw from a 4K Camera that outputs Raw requires the appropriate Raw Option, such as the FS700 Raw Option for the FS700, and the Canon C500 Raw Option for the C500.

For other 4K Cameras, that can output 4K Full Uncompressed Video over HD-SDI (Quad Link, 1.5G), the Odyssey7Q can record 4K Apple ProRes 422 HQ.

This ad was prepared months ago, to meet the deadline for the magazine publication, and we expected that we would have 4K Apple ProRes Support for the Sony F55, Sony FS700, and Canon C500.

We fully expect to have 4K Apple ProRes Support for the Canon C500 in our next firmware release.

Please contact me, via a private message, via this forum, or via my cell phone, and we will attempt to correct our mistake.

Our team certainly did not intend to mislead you, and I apologize for this, as we certainly did inadvertently mislead you.

My cell phone number is: seven one nine --- nine three zero --- one three seven six

Respectfully,
Old November 15th, 2014, 09:07 AM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

As an otherwise graphic designer / advertising industry person, I can concur that magazine ads are prepared months in advance, for magazines that are printed well in advance (even more if printed overseas to save money and then shipped to a country such as the USA) and then delivered to an audience via the regular physical distribution channels. It all takes time.

Dan's response is more than viable, and I expect their advertising claims made would have been with the best of intentions. (Sometimes software development can have hiccups.)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 01:22 PM   #4
Inner Circle

7Q was just updated to hold true to this word.

I can forgive them for development delays, since it eventually still made it into a firmware update.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey