DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Odyssey 7Q and Time Lapse (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/525873-odyssey-7q-time-lapse.html)

Dave Allen November 25th, 2014 09:02 PM

Odyssey 7Q and Time Lapse

While we eagerly await the official time lapse feature of the 7Q, does anyone have any work arounds?

Dan Keaton November 26th, 2014 10:06 AM

Re: Odyssey 7Q and Time Lapse

Dear Dave,

How long is your time-lapse project?

By this, I mean, for how long do you need to record the time-lapse sequence?

Respectfully,

Dave Allen November 27th, 2014 12:08 AM

Most time lapses I have done are several hours or less. I have shot them anywhere from a shot every 1 second to every 5 seconds. But the guys who do DSLR time lapse should chime in here.

In RAW would be best I think, as long as I can batch adjust. I think 2 hours at a frame every 5 seconds works out to be 1440 images.

Olof Ekbergh November 27th, 2014 07:36 AM

I have shot time-lapse as long as 1 year.

The most notable ones I have shot are several days long.

I find it is useful to be able to do at least 12 hrs.

I also really like controlling the camera, usually a DSLR to take 3 rapid images with different exposure, to be combined into HDR in post. This works great for sunset/sunrise.

This is only my experience. I have many times just shot a sunset 15-20 minutes, I usually just shoot those at standard frame rate and then slow them down in post, this is nice because you can ramp the speed. I realize this is problematic with RAW.

It would be very nice to be able to program the Odyssey to take anywhere from 4 images per second to 1 per hour. This would make it a very useful tool for time-lapse and RAW would for me be the best format so that you have the most information in each frame to grade in post as light conditions change.

It would also be nice to be able to just take a single frame or 2 at once for claymation work. I usually use a DSLR for this type of work now. But it would be useful especially when the Odyssey incorporates onion skinning.

I don't ask for much do I Dan?

Anyway happy Turkey day to all and lets be thankful for all the great tools we have to play with.

Dave Allen November 28th, 2014 10:59 PM

The only way I would do a time lapse overnight or over several days is if the entire thing was chained to me!

Olof Ekbergh November 29th, 2014 07:08 AM

These long term time lapse shots involve elaborate custom locked boxes or semi permanent installations of cameras/recorders in buildings. Often with heating to keep lenses from fogging.

The most extreme one was a box I had on top of Mount Washington for a week. It used 2 lead acid batteries to run the camera. It was bolted to a NOAA experiment steel beam installed for various experiments in the "worlds worst weather" location. It was funny to watch as some tourists tried to figure out what the box was and one tried to remove it, but gave up.

This is why we carry insurance. Unfortunately I have had to collect a few times, but never from a stolen time lapse box.