Clips lost nightmare at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 9th, 2014, 03:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Clips lost nightmare

Yesterday I shot 80Gb of HD prores
I ejected the SSD officially per software on the 7q
I used a sharkoon (as usual) for offloading data
I saw the files on the 7Q SSD and started copy to USB disk
I cancelled the transfer by windows, because I noticed the USBdisk had no space left
I formatted (using MacDrive9 standard, as I needed a Mac HTFS+ drive) the usb disk. Checked if clean
The odyssey was not in the explorer anymore
Couldnt relocate the 7Q disk anymore (by disk management)
Went back to the 7Q and put the disk in and powered up
7Q warned for recovery needed, so I did
Disk was empty according to 7Q (OMG)
ejected disk by software on 7Q
back to other PC with SATA cradle
Disk is seen by this machine, Has a clips folder but shows no clips
The property folder shows used space full (512GB) and free space 259MB
Where (tf) is my data?
Is there software to get it asap?
help!
Ron Aerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 06:24 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Clips lost nightmare

Look this is a long shot. I had a drive, on Windows, nothing to do with an Odyssey, that had some kind of major drama. I can't recall what the drama was now but I had the same issues as you are having. Everything I looked at or checked indicated that the one folder on the drive was empty. Yet properties was telling me that the drive was about 70% full. What??? Didn't matter what I tried I couldn't find any data and the PC could see no data.

Just to check the drive I used a piece of software I use on a regular basis as it tells me how much space I have on drives and shows me the folder usage per drive. The software is called 'Folder Size' from

MindGems - Find Duplicate Files, Duplicate Photo Finder, Folder Size - Disk Cleanup Tools

When I used this it immediately found the folder and could tell me how much was in it and allowed me to open the folder and copy its contents to another location. Phew! The day was saved. Give it a go as it sounds like you got nothing to lose.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 06:48 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Maybe the folder contents have been hidden for whatever reason? In windows explorer you have the possibility to show any folders that windows hides for security reasons.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 07:45 AM   #4
Inner Circle

As Noa says, in folder properties make sure view hidden files and folders is checked and see if the folder appears. Happened to a friend of mine who came to me with her laptop distraught that all her pictures had disappeared. The folder was hidden and I both copied to another folder and then also reset the folder. If the file allocation table was corrupted then you will need file recovery software to get the files back. The FAT may have been re-written by the 7Q in its recovery action. I have used Recuva with success https://www.piriform.com/recuva

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2014, 08:22 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Ron,

We provide 24/7 phone support.

Here are my personal phone numbers:

seven one nine -- nine three zero --- one three seven six (I am in the United States)

My Skype Account is dan (dot) keaton1 and this goes to my computer and my cell phone.

Please remove all other SSD's from your Odyssey7Q.

Please put the SSD back into Slot 1 of the Odyssey7Q.

Please press the Gear button, press Odyssey, press SSD, press Recover SSD 1

If this is successful, then remove the SSD.

If this is not successful, say if you get a long error message, repeat up to four times.

You may call me any time, 24/7 on my cell phone number above.

There are times, of course, that I can't answer. You can then text me on this number.

Respectfully,
Old December 11th, 2014, 11:09 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Dear friends,
Thanks for the suggestions
I'm on the road right now but sunday i'll be able to run through all your suggestions. I left the disk untouched at home, hoping for solutions.
I just wonder in what order I should try the suggestions. Dan, is the 7q putting more files on the disk so things might get worse for good recovery?
Old December 16th, 2014, 02:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

So I tried to recover files by recuva but no succes,
if I perform a deep scan with recuva I find 127 files (named CP0000-CP0117) and all of the same size So this doesnt look like useable data. recovering the files gives full appr.4Gb files but not accessable in any way.
seems like sectors or something.
I did find the txt file with the save eject text.
I tried to recover the disk in the 7Q more than 4 times but same result (no clips found) every time
Luckely I had the cam running as a backup but now I'm stuck with the 420 mp4's. The editing Job has already started.
I find this very disturbing as I am unsure about the reliability of the 7Q now...
Old December 16th, 2014, 02:56 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Well, be happy you still got something to go back to :) Don't you think this problem was caused when you cancelled the transfer by windows when you noticed your targetdrive was full? I was just thinking that because I have had issues as well afterwards when I stopped a transfer between a usb stick and my harddiscs.
Old December 16th, 2014, 09:40 AM   #9
Regular Crew

well I never encountered such a problem. I've been using Macdrive for years now on my windows machine
Old December 16th, 2014, 09:54 AM   #10
Inner Circle

You might try to see if you can recreate the problem? It's better to test then to find out again on a paying job.
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:38 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Aerts View Post
Yesterday I shot 80Gb of HD prores
I ejected the SSD officially per software on the 7q
I used a sharkoon (as usual) for offloading data
I saw the files on the 7Q SSD and started copy to USB disk
I cancelled the transfer by windows, because I noticed the USBdisk had no space left
I formatted (using MacDrive9 standard, as I needed a Mac HTFS+ drive) the usb disk. Checked if clean
The odyssey was not in the explorer anymore
Couldnt relocate the 7Q disk anymore (by disk management)
Went back to the 7Q and put the disk in and powered up
7Q warned for recovery needed, so I did
Disk was empty according to 7Q (OMG)
ejected disk by software on 7Q
back to other PC with SATA cradle
Disk is seen by this machine, Has a clips folder but shows no clips
The property folder shows used space full (512GB) and free space 259MB
Where (tf) is my data?
Is there software to get it asap?
help!
I have had nothing but problems cancelling a transfer like this. You are ALWAYS better off letting it fill up and have windows or mac TELL YOU that the drive is full.

When I manually cancel a transfer ... windows will crash, or not respond or tell me the drive now has errors, some files will be there but they will be blank which is dangerous because it leads you to believe that it's a successful copy whereby you may delete the original only to find out later on when you place the copy file in to your NLE.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:42 AM   #12
Inner Circle

exactly my thought and also based on experience, that's why I thought the whole problem might not even be related to the recorder but because of cancelling a ongoing transfer.
Old December 16th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I've seen more problems with transferring files off the master media than pretty much anything else in the workflow.

I'm considering buying one of these for my SSD media transfers:

Amazon.com: CoolGearŪ USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA Adapter with Write-Protect Selection: Computers & Accessories

For all of my SD card and SxS card transfers I set the switch to "protected" and have saved a good bit of grief.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey