New from Convergent Design: Odyssey 7Q+ at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 11th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

New from Convergent Design: Odyssey 7Q+

Convergent Design Announces Odyssey 7Q+ with 4K over HDMI -- read the full press release:

Convergent Design Announces New Odyssey7Q+ Monitor / Recorder at DV Info Net

And the video:

Attached Thumbnails
New from Convergent Design: Odyssey 7Q+-7q-700.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 11:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: New from Convergent Design: Odyssey 7Q+

Hopefully this supports 1080p60 from the HDMI in addition to 4K30p.

Also, more critically, if it can take in a HDMI source from a PC (which will dip below 16/255 at times) without stopping the recording, it may be more appealing for redundant gameplay recording. (running software on the same machine as the game always risks crashing the recording program)

Also, will say right now I have no doubt a hardware limitation means it is impossible for 7Qs to get this upgrade. This is a completely new board with the HDMI 1.4b receiver chip.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 12:50 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Jack -- from Convergent Design:

"Owners of the Odyssey7Q wishing to purchase an Odyssey7Q+ can participate in the Odyssey7Q Owner Loyalty Program. With the purchase on an Odyssey7Q+, Odyssey7Q owners will get a one year warranty extension on their Odyssey7Q, any purchased Record Options replicated on their Odyssey7Q+, and a $500 credit to their account on the Convergent Design website."

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 01:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Can you record 4K / UHD from the A7S out of the box, or do you need the FS license?

And are you limited to SLOG2 only on the A7S, like on the FS700?
Or can you record in any gamma, like Cine2 or Cine4?
Ole Salomonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #5
Trustee

I second Ole's question, and would like to add BH has a likely shipping date of December 24th, is this accurate or is this a temporary place holder?

Also I see in the newest marketing info, that vectorscope has been completely eliminated, not "to be included in a later firmware" does that mean that CD has given up on trying to include that option on the 7Q(s)?
Old December 13th, 2014, 02:00 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Salomonsen View Post
Can you record 4K / UHD from the A7S out of the box, or do you need the FS license?

And are you limited to SLOG2 only on the A7S, like on the FS700?
Or can you record in any gamma, like Cine2 or Cine4?
Dear Ole,

The A7s outputs Ultra-HD, 3840 x 2160 and the Odyssey7Q can record this without any extra cost license since this is not Raw data that we have to process.

The A7s supports S-Log 2.

At this moment, I do not know if you can use other options such as Cine 2 or Cine4, but I can find out.

Respectfully,
Old December 13th, 2014, 02:06 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen View Post
I second Ole's question, and would like to add BH has a likely shipping date of December 24th, is this accurate or is this a temporary place holder?

Also I see in the newest marketing info, that vectorscope has been completely eliminated, not "to be included in a later firmware" does that mean that CD has given up on trying to include that option on the 7Q(s)?
Dear Nick,

That is a realistic shipping date. We will ship out the initial units before that date so that our dealers can ship to their customers.

At this time, we do not foresee any problems that would prevent us from meeting that date. Of course, a bad winter storm could interfere with shipping from our location in Colorado Springs.

We thought it would be better to eliminate all features that we expect to deliver in the future from our Technical Specs. This allows one to read the specifications and know that every feature and specification should be present on Day 1.

Of course, all specifications are subject to change.

The Vectorscope is still on our roadmap as are many other features, they just are now omitted from the technical specifications. As we add these features to the firmware, we will add them to the technical specifications.

Respectfully,
Old December 13th, 2014, 02:12 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
Hopefully this supports 1080p60 from the HDMI in addition to 4K30p.

Also, more critically, if it can take in a HDMI source from a PC (which will dip below 16/255 at times) without stopping the recording, it may be more appealing for redundant gameplay recording. (running software on the same machine as the game always risks crashing the recording program)

Also, will say right now I have no doubt a hardware limitation means it is impossible for 7Qs to get this upgrade. This is a completely new board with the HDMI 1.4b receiver chip.
Dear Jack,

Yes, the Odyssey7Q+ supports up to 1080p60 via HDMI.

I will ask our engineers, and we can test, if all legal codes can be supported over HDMI.

The Odyssey7Q circuit board contains an HDMI Receiver Chip that supports up to 1080p30 and does not have the capability of supporting UHD and 4K over HDMI.

Of course the Odyssey7Q does support UHD and 4K, just not over HDMI.

HDMI Receiver Chips that support UHD (Ultra-HD, 3840 x 2160) and 4K (4096 x 2160) are relatively new.

And yes, the Odyssey7Q+ supports HDMI 1.4b.

Respectfully,
Old December 13th, 2014, 02:24 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Chris,

Thank you for posting information about our latest product, the Odyssey7Q+, as well as the video.

The video was shot on Tuesday, December 2, 2014, in the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs.

The upload to Vimeo caused the video to be more highly saturated than our original color corrected footage. We may adjust the video on Vimeo to correct this as soon as we find the time.

All footage was recorded on a production model of the Odyssey7Q+.

Amber, Mitch and I were at BandPro on Thursday, December 11, 2014 for the first public showing.

We had units on the Sony FS700, FS7 with Expansion Unit, Sony F55, and Sony A7s.

Our next firmware release, a common firmware release for the Odyssey7, Odyssey7Q and Odyssey7Q+ is expected to be released soon, as it is in the final stages of testing.

This new firmware has some very nice new features, which we will discuss later.

Respectfully,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey