DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Battery Life 7Q (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/526256-battery-life-7q.html)

Steve Kimmel December 30th, 2014 11:32 PM

Battery Life 7Q

I have searched on this but can't seem to find answer. If I use Sony L-series 970 battery on 7Q, what is the typical battery life that people are getting recording 4K? I realize that Convergent Design gives power draw, but I'd like to know what real life experience is showing.

Thanks.

Olof Ekbergh December 31st, 2014 07:36 AM

Re: Battery Life 7Q

It seems to last about 2 to 2 ½ hrs of solid recording UHD.

Mixed some rec and mostly just monitoring more like 3-4 hrs.

6.3A x 7.4V = 46W

So a new 970 should give you 2.5 hrs but always be conservative as temperature and battery age/condition makes a big difference. This is at 18W draw.

Steve Kimmel December 31st, 2014 09:03 AM

Thanks Olof!

Josh Bass January 1st, 2015 03:32 AM

mitch from convergent told me the u series batts were more efficient, so ive ordered two and the adapter plate for them. anyone know how long a bpu60 will last JUST monitoring?

Sami Sanpakkila January 1st, 2015 04:39 PM

I have four 770 batteries and those have always lasted me a full day. I shoot feature work so maybe for doc work you need more!

Roger Martin June 14th, 2015 12:53 AM

Re: Battery Life 7Q+

I bought the Sony L plate for my 7Q+ and frankly am disappointed with less than 2 hrs of recorded 4k DownRes to 1080P30.
The same 8500 mAh battery plus a different adapter plate will run my power hungry A7s over 3 hours and still have left over juice.
The problem seems to be the 7.4 voltage drops too fast.

Instead of using the overpriced pigtail adapter (it would be worth it if it had a 90 degree plug),
I have ordered a cheap dummy L battery and will plug that into a 32,000 mAh 9/12/16/20 volt power bank or just a 12 volt battery.
But before buying that, I will test with my Anker Astro3 10,000 mAh unit. It has variable voltage.

My understanding is that the 7Q+ likes to have 10 volts to initially start up.

Dan Keaton July 23rd, 2015 01:29 PM

Dear Roger,

The Odyssey7, Odyssey7Q, and Odyssey7Q+ all support 6.5 Volts DC to 34 Volts DC.

There is built in over-voltage protection and protection from reverse voltage.

If you are using a 7.2 / 7.4 Volt battery, then it is best to change the battery when it gets much below 7 volts, as the lower the voltage goes, the higher the current becomes.

If you are recording from the a7S in Ultra-HD (called 4K in the camera), then there is a great deal of processing and recording going on. You can see the power draw that we are using at any time, in Box 2 on the upper left.

We do not recommend using the Sony NP-770 battery or smaller models, as they do not have enough power for all recording modes.

I am providing the following as a general note and warning to others, as opposed to saying that you are using non-genuine Sony Batteries.

Please note that there are a lot of counterfeit Sony NP-F970 batteries. These have two Lithium-Ion cells instead of the six that are in a genuine Sony NP-F970, and thus the current carrying capability is very low. And the battery will drain quicker in every mode. To make these appear heavier, they have lead weights or other items instead of having actual battery cells.

A genuine Sony NP-F970 is 6300 mah.

I recommend purchasing your batteries from a trusted source.

We offer Sony L-Series Battery plates for those that use or have Sony L-Series Batteries, such as the NP-F970.

We also offer Sony U-Series Battery plates for these that use or have Sony U-Series Batteries, such as the BPu60 or BPu90 batteries.

These are higher in capacity and will last longer. These are 14.4 VDC batteries

Respectfully,

Dan Keaton
Convergent Design

Roger Martin August 2nd, 2015 11:32 PM

Re: Battery Life 7Q+

The 10,000 mAh Anker did not work so
I got the PowerAdd 32,000 mAh battery and have found the 12 volt setting to work well so far.
It last many hours longer than the authentic Sony L or the aftermarket ones.
Because I already had the plate, I just used a dummy battery plugged directly to the PowerAdd.

Sami Sanpakkila August 4th, 2015 05:07 AM

Hi Roger

is this the battery you've used? http://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-Pilot.../dp/B00DN0KBXU

What kind of dummy battery you use? What is the weight of the battery?

I'm very interested in this. Looks good...

Roger Martin August 4th, 2015 08:50 AM

Yes, I got the PowerAdd 32,000 mAh from Amazon $130
It has a tiny screen that show the voltage and % left.
Mine has never been less that 70% after almost 3 hours of converting A7s 4k to 1080P30.
It weighs 1 pound 11 oz and although it has a strong case, that is mostly batteries.
It slides into and fits the slot in the back of my Tamrac Pro 8 bag.

The dummy (Sony L) battery came from B&H $29
I keep it connected to the 7Q+ in the front pocket of my bag

Unfortunately the proprietary connecting pin for the 7Q+ sticks out so far that I have to unplug it each time.
I wish Odyssey would come out with an L shaped one that could be left in.

Dan Keaton August 12th, 2015 09:37 AM

Dear Roger,

We have not found an L-Shaped power connector, that is locking, and requires very minimal space, so we can also have an on-off switch.

Respectfully,

Roger Martin August 12th, 2015 11:46 AM

I now use a stand or mount the 7Q+ on the side of my TriPod.
The only time some of the weight of the unit is on the connector is when I connect the AC adapter on my desk and that weight is static while I close and remove the SSD to transfer files to my computer.

But keep looking as an L shaped one would be better for us that use the HDMI port instead of the SDI.

Also, If left plugged in, there is a strong chance that it will either break or puncture my camera bag when put away.