Convergent Design Odyssey Firmware Roadmap 2015 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 5th, 2015, 06:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Convergent Design Odyssey Firmware Roadmap 2015

March Firmware Update:

Additional compressed video recording formats
Improved image processing for both FS7 & FS700 (FS RAW Record Option)

April Firmware Update:

Programmable custom 3D-LUTs with LUT routing to tools & outputs
Improved monitoring functions and tools

May Firmware Update:

Additional monitoring/recording features
High frame rate compressed recording for FS7 & FS700 (FS RAW Record Option)
New Record Option

June Firmware Update

Additional compressed video recording formats
New Record Option

end

I wonder if time lapse and the quad scopes thing is in there somewhere.
Old March 6th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Convergent Design Odyssey Firmware Roadmap 2015

ROLL ON APRIL !!!!

and May sounds interesting too.
Old March 7th, 2015, 05:42 PM   #3
Trustee

I don't suppose the new monitoring functions in April include a vectorscope? (the thing I purchased my 7q for a year ago because it was promised as a "future release" - though I thought it was already included) Also any chance that one of these recording updates include a 4k prores update so those of us shooting at 8 bit 4k (7q+ and sony a7s) could save some storage space?

Also I absolutely love the odyssey 7(q_+) line of monitor recorders and totally appreciate the amount of work you've put into it.
Old March 9th, 2015, 12:07 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Dave,

Thank you for posting our recently released firmware development roadmap.

We would love to be able to provide more details on each of these firmware release.
More details will be coming out as we gain the necessary approvals/certifications.

And some of our intended features are very significant that will please a great deal of users when we provide additional details.

Also, please understand that these are our carefully considered goals, and the timeframes can change.

I also want to add time-lapse as soon as practical, but I do not have an estimate time frame.

By Quad Scopes, I feel that you want us to split the image into Quad Split mode, and present the live video in one quadrant, and present other information in the other quadrants.

If that is what you meant, we are attempting to work that feature into our plans.

Dear Nick,

Yes, the Vectorscope is in our plans.

Quote:
Any chance that one of these recording updates include a 4k Apple ProRes 422 update so those of us shooting at 8 bit 4k (7q+ and Sony a7s) could save some storage space?
Please stay tuned for an announcement that will make you very happy.

Respectfully,
Old March 9th, 2015, 07:08 PM   #5
Major Player

If the bag of hurt of trying to do RAW footage in FCPX could ever get solved and the file merge software could be written Mac friendly..... that would be awesome.

Once time lapse is added, just about everything imaginable that I need for a high production value will be baked in.

At that point, about the only substantial upgrade left that I could think of would be...um....to add multirotor flight capability so I can use the 7Q as an aerial platform and acquisition tool, lol. ;)

Keep up the great work Dan, thanks!
Old March 10th, 2015, 12:32 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Dave,

Our CD Clip Merger does work for both the Mac and PC.

https://convergent-design.com/suppor...utilities.html

On the Mac, one has to navigate to the SSD, and it is a little harder due to the way Mac handles this.

I will try to write up some instructions.

We have a lot more features planned, over and above what we have listed in our Firmware Roadmap.

We hope to release a nice surprise soon, which will be especially welcome for GH4 users.

Rotors - We don't need no stinking Rotors!

I like rockets, big rockets, very big rockets like the Saturn V!

Respectfully,
Old March 10th, 2015, 06:09 PM   #7
Major Player

Better make sure CD Odyssey paint is heatproof! And don't use those shuttle heat tiles or o-rings.

I know the Clipmerger program is written so it works with Macs, but is is clearly written in a windows environment, so navigating through it is not intuitive for us Mac users who are used to everything looking, feeling and working the same intuitively. Your support in using it is always outstanding, but if it was written in an OSX environment, we wouldn't have to reply upon that exemplary support from you. That navigating to the root folder thing is really weird and not intuitive, so I forget how to do it since I don't do it often enough to remember it. That's why we're so hooked on the Mac, no need for rote memorization. :)
Old May 24th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #8
Trustee

Hey Dan just checking to see if this roadmap is still accurate or if the dates have been pushed.when I spoke to everyone at NAB I got really excited about the May firmware update, and while I know there's still a few days left in May I wanted to see if you still thought that was going to happen.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:19 PM   #9
Sponsor: Convergent Design

We will update the roadmap soon.
Mitch Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:34 PM   #10
New Boot

Love the new additions in this latest update( 2015.5) but NOTICE that 3rd party SSD's were not supported.

"Access to the use of these two Samsung 850 EVO SSDs is expected to be made available with the May 2015 free Odyssey firmware update. Only the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB and EVO 1000GB SSDs, along with the Odyssey 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB SSDs, will function in the Odyssey monitor/recorders."

Wondering if you this is still on the Roadmap Update for release SOON?

Last edited by Brian Hoodenpyle; June 3rd, 2015 at 12:37 PM. Reason: move to different forum page
Brian Hoodenpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:17 PM   #11
Trustee

Gotta say I keep feeling more and more silly believing these "road maps" and "expected releases" went to nab in April and after speaking to the guys at the both drank the koolaid. So a few weeks ago I bought a couple of 1tb Samsung 850 ssd drives in anticipation of the 3rd party support, readied myself for the long awaited vectorscope (well long awaited for me) then of course nothing actually was released in May.

The release come out today and of course I'm disappointed.

For a long time you guys wouldn't comment on future releases or when they would come out, and honestly I think I'd just prefer that more then the missed updates and undelivered promises.

The 7q(+) is a great product for what it delivers but I will never buy an item from convergent design based on what it "will deliver soon" and I will advise anyone who asks me to do the same.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 12:02 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Check out the 2015.7 release.
It adds support for something like 5 new SamSung drives and leaves out two of the ones I expected.
The 850 Pro 1TB and 850 EVO 1000GB are included
The 63 page updated Manual is also available.
Roger Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2015, 05:43 AM   #13
Trustee

I'm not sure why people just don't stick with tested convergent drives for the safest possible rushes !?
Old August 3rd, 2015, 08:51 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Matt:

I'm not sure why people just don't stick with tested convergent drives for the safest possible rushes !?

Because they cannot afford them.
Even after dropping prices the Samsung cost about half as much as a CD drive.
Roger Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2015, 03:34 PM   #15
Trustee

But if you make an investment in the 7Q and then in the software extras...proportionally I just think its worth it for the piece of mind !? Certainly in my opinion but then I guess if you required lots of big drives for running RAW or something then maybe it would add up.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey