DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   How do you find Pro Res 4k Playback ? Very glitchy! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/527621-how-do-you-find-pro-res-4k-playback-very-glitchy.html)

Mat Thompson April 3rd, 2015 05:23 PM

How do you find Pro Res 4k Playback ? Very glitchy!

How do people find playback in Prores 4k palback?

I'm doing my first project with it and its dreadful. Very glitchy, do anything other than just play the clip and things start jumping around and going frizzy !?

Chris Medico April 3rd, 2015 06:25 PM

Re: How do you find Pro Res 4k Playback ? Very glitchy!

What kind of drive array are you using? I've been testing it today and it takes at least a 2 drive RAID0 setup to play smoothly on my system.

It will playback smoothly from a SSD.

Chris Medico April 3rd, 2015 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a screenshot showing 4k Prores using more than 50% of a 2 drive RAID0 setup.

Mat Thompson April 3rd, 2015 06:31 PM

No...on the 7q not in post !?

Chris Medico April 3rd, 2015 06:33 PM

Thats odd. I played back footage today and it seemed OK. I need to check and make sure it was ProRes and not DNG.

Mat Thompson April 4th, 2015 03:16 AM

Try scrubbing a little and pausing and skipping clips.

Straight playing seems to go ok just about.

I'd be vvey interested to know if others are struggling in this way.

The beta testing continues !!!

Dan Keaton April 7th, 2015 06:43 AM

Dear Mat,

Which firmware are you using 4.10.100 or 5.10.100?

I know that we are improving the 4K Apple ProRes 422 Playback.

Respectfully,

Mat Thompson April 7th, 2015 12:25 PM

5.1 Dan

Mat

Jim Arthurs April 16th, 2015 07:35 PM

Hi Mat. I'm assuming you're trying playback on the PC? In general, straight playback of 4K ProRes is hit or miss on the PC. Sometimes you can get a smooth experience, but not always. I just built a new 6 core box with plenty of Ram, a decent graphics card and a Samsung EVO 850 drive to play from and playback of UHD ProRes is still not a great experience.

I recently edited the UHD native NAB image video for Convergent Design, called "Assignment: Odyssey"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMD2...ature=youtu.be

...Eight different cameras, 3 Raw formats, and the bulk of the material was UHD ProRes. It was important for me, as a PC user, to come up with a viable post workflow for the project (and future jobs). It is just unacceptable to edit with jerky playback. Jerky playback ruins your timing, and makes it easy to miss frame rate mis-matches and other glitches.

So here was my workflow...

1.) Resolve to ingest all ProRes UHD and the Raw formats (Canon Raw, Sony Raw and ArriRaw) and generate DNxHD 36Mb/sec 1080p proxies with no color correction.

2.) Edit with the proxies in Premiere. Ultra smooth playback, no dropped frames ever.

3.) Export XML edit list back to Resolve and color grade the original footage selects.

4.) Export CC'ed full UHD clips from Resolve in CineForm codec with.mov wrapper.

5.) Final assembly in Premiere with audio work,etc.

Worked great, clean as a whistle. Would recommend for any long form project.

Here's the secret weapon on the PC... CineForm. With the CineForm codec you can expect full speed playback of UHD .mov wrapped material at 1/2 rez. in your editing app, and flawless playback full screen, full res if you wrap or re-wrap your CineForm files as .avi.

I hope this helps, or points to a way of working. Apple makes it VERY difficult as a PC user to enjoy ProRes, but there are work-arounds.

Regards,

Jim Arthurs

Gary Huff April 17th, 2015 08:24 AM

Jim has a great workflow there. Just don't try to online ProRes if you are working under Windows as Apple's support for it is via a 32-bit legacy Windows application named QuickTime (even current OSX versions have bypassed QuckTime for AVFoundation). It's already bad enough at 1080.

Mat Thompson April 18th, 2015 03:37 AM

Guys - Read the post....ON THE 7Q, not in post !

Ryan Douthit April 21st, 2015 08:16 AM

I'm running 5.1 as well and noticed that in-unit 4k playback, specifically scrubbing, is all sorts of ugly.

Mat Thompson April 21st, 2015 12:23 PM

Thanks Ryan....it is obviously another glitch.

Roger Martin August 12th, 2015 12:22 PM

They say: "If you are not making mistakes, you are not learning".
Last time I tried. 4k worked fine on my Odyssey and computer with firmware 2015.5
The amount of processing, disc space etc caused me to switch to DownRes to 1080P30

Dan Keaton August 13th, 2015 07:44 AM

Dear Roger,

This is an old thread from April 2015, as we were introducing new playback modes that allowed scrubbing.

This is from 5.10.100

Since then, we have released many firmware updates:

2015.5 (May 2015)

2015.7 (July 2015)

2015.8 (August 2015)

I highly recommend that if you are using 2015.5 (our May 2015 firmware release) that you upgrade to 2015.8 (from August 6, 2015).

There are many significant new features that you are missing if you are still using previous versions of our firmware.

Respectfully,