Convergent Design Customer Service at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 18th, 2015, 09:52 AM   #1
Photographer

Convergent Design Customer Service

About a month ago I purchased an Odyssey 7Q+, the 4K RAW license for my FS/7 and a bunch of 1TB Convergent SSD's. I'm a relative newbie to all of this so the capabilities/complexities of the 7Q+ were a bit intimidating. Initially I had a little difficulty setting the parameters on both the Sony and the Odyssey so that they would play nicely together. Once Convergent's people helped me through that, I had a couple of on assignment, what we in the aviation business call "pilot error" experiences, where I had bumped something on the touch screen and ended up looking at something I didn't understand and couldn't figure out how to remove.

Two of these little glitches were in the middle of a shoot with the Blue Angels swarming around me and there was little time for "a teaching moment". Each time I have needed to reach out to Convergent, they answered immediately and just as concisely helped me solve my issue and go back to work. I have other leading brand recorder/monitors and, while they are good products, the support doesn't hold a candle to Convergent's, and really, in the end, it's all about a product that doesn't need much support with a support team that is always available, from my experience, that describes Convergent Design. Worth the money.
Old September 18th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Convergent Design Customer Service

Indeed it seems second to none. Their very active presence on this board and especially Mitch is very encouraging. I often give them grief over the price, but that's because it's a bit steep to me. So I was considering getting the Shogun instead. But after trying for weeks to get an answer to a question from Atomos, I pretty much feel like "ok, if I can't afford the 7Q, I'm not having any recorder until I can afford the 7Q".
Old September 18th, 2015, 10:29 AM   #3
Photographer

Dear Dimitri,

Exactly, I had the same experience early last year with the first Shogun release. Have a Samurai Blade that, thankfully. has not required customer service. Convergent is pricey, but there's "pricey" and then there's value, Convergent is the latter. The CEO even walked me through a method where I could postpone the $795.00 4K RAW license to save me a little money for now, but I just wanted to get it all in place.

"Buy the best and only cry once..." :)
Old September 19th, 2015, 04:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your very kind words!

Jim, it was a pleasure to help you.

Dmitri, I hope to be able to help you in the future.

I do hope you will get an Odyssey7Q or Odyssey7Q+ sometime.
Or you can call me now to just discuss it or your camera or cameras.

We strive to provide the best customer service in the world

Customers, potential customers, and anyone with just a question may call us 24/7 every day of the year.

Our main office phone number is 720-221-3861 (Mountain Time - Denver Time).

If one calls this number after hours, and one selects support, then my personal cell phone is connected.
This takes some extra rings, so please stay on the line for an extended time, allowing me to answer.

My personal cell phone is 719-930-1376 and I answer this 24/7. These phone numbers are in the United States.

Please understand that I am sometimes on conference calls or traveling without phone service.

I feel that there can be tremendous pressure when on-set, and one may need an answer instantly, not on "Monday" or later.

Respectfully,
Old September 19th, 2015, 07:23 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
I hope I can get one soon too, and that you don't have to help me if/when I do! :)
But very encouraging in case help would be needed!
Old May 12th, 2016, 06:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

CD has the best customer service EVER. period. I had an issue with my Odyssey 7Q, sent it in (out of warranty) and they repaired it without charging me!
Paul Abbaszadeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2016, 11:53 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Friends,

Thank you for your very kind words!

Jim, it was a pleasure to help you.

We strive to provide the best customer service in the world

Customers, potential customers, and anyone with just a question may call us 24/7 every day of the year.

Our main office phone number is 720-221-3861 (Mountain Time - Denver Time).

If one calls this number after hours, and one selects support, then my personal cell phone is connected.
This takes some extra rings, so please stay on the line for an extended time, allowing me to answer.

My personal cell phone is 719-930-1376 and I answer this 24/7. These phone numbers are in the United States.

Please understand that I am sometimes on conference calls or traveling without phone service.

I feel that there can be tremendous pressure when on-set, and one may need an answer instantly, not on "Monday" or later.

Respectfully,
This post by Dan just affirms what I and the rest of the DVInfo crew have known for awhile. Dan, Mike, and company are some of the finest, most helpful individuals I have ever seen in this or any other industry. I am so thankful for their presence and sponsorship here.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2016, 02:34 PM   #8
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Dan is pretty amazing. We could not offer the level of service we do without his efforts, and he really does answer the phone 24/7. He's woken me up before at 2:00am to have me assist a customer with something. Convergent Design has really incredible customers as well. Practically any time I pick up the phone to assist someone it's actually a pleasure to chat with them, whether they're a huge name in the industry or a person just starting out. I actually look forward to hearing the phone ring. Cheers guys!

If you ever experience an issue with the website, have questions, etc. please pick up the phone and give me a call at (720)221-3861 x110 or email me at erich@convergent-design.com.

- Erich Haubrich // Convergent Design Web Nerd

Last edited by Erich Haubrich; June 1st, 2016 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typo
Erich Haubrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2016, 06:19 PM   #9
Photographer

Once again, I needed some technical help from Convergent Design re: my Sony PXW-Z150, and my Sony FS/7. A quick phone call to Convergent got me to Jim in Tech Help and in a short amount of time he kindly and adeptly helped me with my set up questions. Convergent Design continues to make me so happy that I invested in their product line, their products are first class and their customer service is a notch above that.
Old November 29th, 2016, 06:58 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Dear Jim,

We greatly appreciate your post commenting on our customer service.

We strive for world-class customer service, and it is so nice to hear that we meet your needs.

I will let Jim know about your post.

Thank you.

Respectfully,
Old December 2nd, 2016, 04:15 PM   #11
Photographer

Well deserved Dan, you guys are great. I mentioned to Jim that my PXW Z150 connected to the &Q+ will only bring up an image on the + that is pretty much the same dimensions as the OLED on the Z150. The image shows up in the upper left quadrant of the +. We could not figure out why it won't display a full image. I had it connected via SDI.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 04:23 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Dear James,

Thank you.

Just so others know, if the video, HD-SDI or HDMI Input shows up only in the upper left hand corner of the Odyssey screen, then the Odyssey is in Multi-Stream mode as opposed to a regular mode.

Thus, it is also looking for an input via HD-SDI B, and two more to display a Quad Split of the four cameras.

Putting into a regular, non Multi-Stream mode resolves this problem.

Thank you again.

Respectfully,
Old December 2nd, 2016, 08:24 PM   #13
Photographer

Thanks Dan!
Old January 1st, 2017, 08:42 AM   #14
New Boot

I'll add our "Thanks" to the discussion. Dan is amazing, accessible, always there for us and has the answers. We've been working with him since the early days of the NanoFlash.

Thanks Dan and Convergent Design! We love the Odyssey 7Q+! The daily Apollo and Raw license is a terrific idea for those of us who only need it a few times a year.

Jim & Kelly Watt
Bennett-Watt HD Productions
Seattle
Jim Watt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey