DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Apollo Option - Now Available (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/530474-apollo-option-now-available.html)

Dan Keaton November 28th, 2015 04:04 AM

Apollo Option - Now Available

Dear Friends,

We have released, Odyssey firmware version 2015.12, on-time, on November 27, 2015.

This is available on our website for download, and this version supports the Odyssey7, Odyssey7Q and Odyssey7Q+.

Included in this release is our Apollo Option, which allows one to record up to four HD streams, 720p50, 720p59.94, 720p60, and up to 1080p60 and 1080i60.

The Odyssey7Q and Odyssey7Q+ both support our Apollo Option.

In addition, this allows one to perform a Live Switch with glitch free "program feed" output, even when non-genlocked cameras are used.

Each channel is recorded in iso (isolated format), but all channels are recorded to just one file for ease in media management.

A fifth channel can be created and recorded with the Apollo Option using the Odyssey7Q or Odyssey7Q+.

This fifth channel can be either the Live Switch (Program Feed) or a Quad-Split of the other four channels.

The Live Switch mode allows for one to record a multiple camera setup, and very quickly create a DVD or deliverables for a client or customer.

This is a great benefit when one is under extremely tight deadlines.

If a mistake is made during the Live Switching, one can easily just edit the switch points, or use one of the other three isolated channels, if desired, thus reducing editing time to a few minutes.

If one is using our Quad-Split Mode, then one can play, or scrub the footage, viewing all four camera angles, in sync. And, of course, we allow one to instantly jump from any point in the timeline to another.

This is great for episodic television, as one can view all four camera angles simultaneously on our 7.7" OLED monitor, or on a much larger external monitor.

One can quickly check any scene, and if the desired camera angle has any problem, framing, focus, etc,, then one can instantly check the other camera angles and decide if the scene needs to be shot again.

This makes a nice, low cost, four channel video assist device.

If a channel is lost during recording for any reason, the other channels continue to record, and a freeze frame of the last valid frame will be recorded for the lost channel.

When the lost channel is restored, the Apollo Option will quickly reacquire the signal and resume recording.

When desired, less than 4 channels can be recorded.

The Live Switch mode, allows one to be recording one channel, then "Cue" another channel, then "Take" the "Cued" channel on command. Some call this "Preview" and "Program".

We will be enhancing our Apollo Option by adding free support for recording two 4K or Ultra-HD sources in early 2016. Many other enhancements are planned.

We expect to release the Apollo Recorder/Monitor in December 2015 but the Apollo Option for the Odyssey7Q and Odyssey7Q+ is available now.

The Apollo Option is an extra cost upgrade. This normally costs $1,795 US, but during this Black Friday through Cyber Monday, there is a $200 (US) introductory discount. This is available until late Monday Night (Tuesday Morning) at 2 AM New York time.

If you shoot with multiple cameras, please give serious consideration to our Apollo Option.

We demonstrated an early version of the Apollo Option at CCW (NAB East) in NYC this month.

You may test the Apollo Option, for free, by downloading our 2015.12 firmware and installing it on your Odyssey7Q or Odyssey7Q+. During testing, there will be a permanent watermark in any images recorded in the Apollo Mode.

Then, at any time, you may purchase the Apollo Option from our website, and then you may record without a watermark in your images.

It is interesting that our 1.2 pound, low power, battery or AC powered Odyssey7Q/Odyssey7Q+ can replace a rack of gear for multiple-camera shoots.

We are not aware of any other small, portable device that supports as many professional features as the Odyssey7Q and Odyssey7Q+ and these are greatly enhanced by our Apollo Option for Multiple Camera shoots.

Convergent Design - Home

To order our Apollo Option, just click on our 4-Day Black Friday banner at the top of our website or click here:

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Sale

You may also use the above link to purchase our Raw Bundle, adding Raw Support for our Odyssey7Q and Odyssey7Q+ for many cameras at a $200 (US) discount.

As always, I provide 24/7 support, every day of the year, for our customers and friends, so please call me if you have any questions at:

seven one nine -- nine three zero --- one three seven six

Respectfully,

James Redmond November 30th, 2015 11:48 AM

Re: Apollo Option - Now Available

Dan, Several questions about Apollo:

1. Can I set what cameras to record? Going through the manual and trying it, it looks like all channels are recorded plus either the mutltiview or the switched output. I don't need all cameras recorded.
2. When in the Quad view can I change the setting so that it switches right away instead of going to preview then when I hit it again it switches?
3. When in Quad view and recording, can I go full screen for one of the camera with affecting the recording?
4. Is the blue line just for the demo?
5. I test recorded 2 camera and when I bring the footage on the timeline, each camera (and switched output) is different lengths the biggest difference is 12 frames. Is that "normal"?

Thanks, James

Dan Keaton December 1st, 2015 08:46 PM

Re: Apollo Option - Now Available

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Redmond (Post 1904034)
Dan, Several questions about Apollo:

1. Can I set what cameras to record? Going through the manual and trying it, it looks like all channels are recorded plus either the mutltiview or the switched output. I don't need all cameras recorded.

You may record four cameras, if they are connector, or

The connected cameras (1, 2, 3, or 4) plus the Live Switched output (the program feed), or

The connected cameras (1, 2, 3, or 4) plus a Quad Split of the connected cameras.

We do not have a way, at this time, to not record a connected camera.

Quote:

2. When in the Quad view can I change the setting so that it switches right away instead of going to preview then when I hit it again it switches?
We are working on this, I call this a Single Tap mode.

We currently support a Cue/Take (also called Preview/Program) function.

The first tap cues up a channel, the second one performs the switch.

Two quick taps, switches immediately.

Quote:

3. When in Quad view and recording, can I go full screen for one of the camera with affecting the recording?
(I believe the answer is no at this time. We were worried if we had this function, while recording, one may feel that they were performing a Live Switch, but they were actually in Quad Split Mode.

Quote:

4. Is the blue line just for the demo?
Yes, this is our watermark, so you can test this features before you purchase it.

Quote:

5. I test recorded 2 camera and when I bring the footage on the timeline, each camera (and switched output) is different lengths the biggest difference is 12 frames. Is that "normal"?
I can check on this, but this does depend on the specific cameras being used, and the inherent frequency differences, causing a different number of frames being generated over a specific time frame.

This is inherent when the cameras are not gen-locked. but this has no practical consequences provided one records an extra second or two after the "cut" or normal end of the take.

Quote:

Thanks, James
Respectfully,