DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   nanoflash fuse (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/536075-nanoflash-fuse.html)

Kurt Franz July 24th, 2018 11:54 AM

nanoflash fuse

Need to know if the nanoflash has a fuse that can be replaced or reset. Someone gave me a unit that does not power up and I want to see if I can get it working.

Pete Cofrancesco July 24th, 2018 12:51 PM

Re: nanoflash fuse

He gave it to you because it doesn’t work. You could contact the manufacturer to see if they still repair it. But most likely for such an old unit it’s not worth it.

Kurt Franz July 24th, 2018 02:00 PM

yes you are correct - that is exactly why it was given to me. I just need to know if there is a replaceable fuse or it can be reset

thank

Pete Cofrancesco July 24th, 2018 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt Franz (Post 1945522)
yes you are correct - that is exactly why it was given to me. I just need to know if there is a replaceable fuse or it can be reset

thank

The product's name is play on words, there is no "fuse" to replace.

Kurt Franz July 24th, 2018 04:06 PM

Here is the reason for my question - this is from the Nanoflash FAQ document. Wanted to know if I was misinterpreting something.

93. What is the power input requirement and the connector specification?
The nanoFlash consumes from 7.5 watts active / 0.2 watts standby. The power connector
is via a locking 4-Pin Hirose connector with pins 1 and 2 for power (+) and pins 3 and 4 for
ground (-). The corresponding power plug connector is a Hirose HR10A-7P-4S(73),
available from Digikey. The voltage input range is +6.5V to +20V DC. nanoFlash does
have an internal resettable fuse and overvoltage / reverse voltage protection.

Pete Cofrancesco July 24th, 2018 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt Franz (Post 1945525)
Here is the reason for my question - this is from the Nanoflash FAQ document. Wanted to know if I was misinterpreting something.

93. What is the power input requirement and the connector specification?
The nanoFlash consumes from 7.5 watts active / 0.2 watts standby. The power connector
is via a locking 4-Pin Hirose connector with pins 1 and 2 for power (+) and pins 3 and 4 for
ground (-). The corresponding power plug connector is a Hirose HR10A-7P-4S(73),
available from Digikey. The voltage input range is +6.5V to +20V DC. nanoFlash does
have an internal resettable fuse and overvoltage / reverse voltage protection.

My bad. It sounds like it does have a fuse and it can be reset. So you could contact tech support and see what they say. So is it hard to open and look inside for it or are you afraid of damaging it? Wouldn't that be great if all you have to do is reset the fuse. Let's us know how it turns out.

Alastair Traill July 24th, 2018 05:09 PM

The NanoFlash has an internal battery that is charged when the the unit is in use. The battery on mine had to be replaced a couple of times. The unit was very hard to open because of some thread locking compound and even harder to work on because of the ribbon cables. Good luck.

Pete Cofrancesco July 24th, 2018 06:08 PM

I ran into ribbon cables when I repaired a laptop and Sony camcorder . Both times they turned a 20 minute job into 4 hour cursing session. The reassembly of parts attached to ribbon cables is brutal.

So it sounds like repacing the battery is all that might be needed.

Kurt Franz July 24th, 2018 07:03 PM

in this case i dont think replacing the internal battery is going to help. the unit i have does not power on at all, where the internal battery, at least from what i can tell, only keeps the time and other settings memorized. in the same fashion as the small battery on a pc motherboard.

my unit is either completely toasted or just in need of a new fuse or a reset.

probably toasted

i did shoot an email to convergent designs asking for any insight. if they decide to get back with me i will let everyone know

thanks
kf

Christopher Young July 24th, 2018 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
FWIW I've replaced batteries in two of these CD Nano units over the years. To know how to get into the Nanoflash units I used this YouTube teardown video which was very helpful. If you follow the video steps carefully it's really not too hard at all and it will get you to that PCB where the RESET is. Just go slow and steady. At 7:41 into the video there is a shot of the board which I am pretty sure shows the RESET button. All sympathy but no responsibility taken if you follow what I said in this post and it all goes haywire. Check the 7:41 jpg.

Chris Young

Kurt Franz July 25th, 2018 05:28 AM

chris
thanks for the info....does not look too difficult to dig around in there..... 😀

Christopher Young July 26th, 2018 02:09 AM

Good luck with the digging my man :))

Chris Young