HDLink Pro Displayport 3D and Stereo 3D Toolbox?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery > Dashwood Cinema Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 27th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #16
Major Player

My understanding through a Blackmagic-Designs re-seller is that the displayport hardware units are in their New Jersey warehouse and available for shipping. As of yesterday, Monday July 26 the west coast office was unaware of this as well as unaware that the software was also available for download.

As of today, everyone at BM is on the same page and dealers should be able to order the unit now. Mine is due to arrive on Friday.

It's great news that it will do all the 3D HDTV modes and it does flip/flop for mirror rig monitoring. Glad I didn't spring for $5K for the Inition or 3ality boxes.
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #17
Wrangler

Yes. I ordered a "HDLink Displayport" a couple weeks ago and when it arrived it was in a "HDLink DisplayPort 3D" box even though "3D" isn't printed on the unit itself. That doesn't really matter though since a quick firmware update turns it into the "HDLink Displayport 3D."
Old August 9th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #18
Major Player

I got my BlackMagic HDLink 3D DisplayPort unit today. I hooked it up to the 3D camera rig and was able to output the display to my 40" Samsung monitor through a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and HDMI cable. I can now make even more precise alignments than I was able to do on an 8" 3D monitor. What's really nice though, is that the HDSDI output also outputs a muxed (side-by-side, over/under/ or line by line) signal so that in side by side mode I can see both cameras now simultaneously on my Leader Waveform/Vectorscope for exposure and color adjustments. It will also serve me well when later this month I am slated to do a 3D live satellite feed from Los Angeles to London and the satellite truck needs to have that HDSDI muxed output signal to transmit.

The only thing I'm not sure about is that the Samsung 40" display looks like it's interlaced - I'll have to check out whether that's the case or not coming out of the DisplayPort and into the monitor. The Leader is saying that the HDSDI output though is a pure 23.98 PSF which is good.

Nice unit and at a great cost too. Before the B-M HDLink 3D was available the alternative solutions were in the $5000 range - my cost for this unit: $470 USD.
Old August 10th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I just took delivery of one of the newer Zalman M215 passive polarised 1920x1080 DVI LCD displays. I am planning on getting a HD-Link to connect to this, I believe it should work and would make a nice monitor option to compliment my Transvideo 3D monitor. Like Bruce I think a bigger on set monitor is needed for some of my shoots.
Old August 16th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Schultz View Post
I got my BlackMagic HDLink 3D DisplayPort unit today. I hooked it up to the 3D camera rig and was able to output the display to my 40" Samsung monitor through a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and HDMI cable.
Bruce, could you elaborate a bit more on the equipment you're using and how everything is connected together? I'm wondering if I could use the HDLink 3D in my set-up. Thanks.
Petri Teittinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petri Teittinen View Post
Bruce, could you elaborate a bit more on the equipment you're using and how everything is connected together? I'm wondering if I could use the HDLink 3D in my set-up. Thanks.
The BlackMagic HDLink 3D has 2 separate BNC inputs for Left/Right Eye data steams, and a single BNC HDSDI output for either side-by-side, over/under or Line by Line or a single-stream output of one of the Left/Right data streams. There is a DisplayPort adapter which is also active for conversion with an small inexpensive adapter to HDMI to feed a 3D HDTV set's input.

That's about the extent of it. You have to connect the HDLink 3D through it's USB port to a computer Mac or PC and using the HDLink V3.4 software download set up the HDLink to display in the ways you need. Once it is connected to the 3D HDTV you then need to set the input parameters on the HDTV and you are then watching stereo images on a 3D display.

As a side note, the BlackMagic HDLink 3D unit that I received appears to be having intermittent problems on both the DisplayPort and HDSDI outputs with one channel flashing a green screen and the DisplayPort intermittently sending signals out to the 3D HDTV. After about 10 minutes of being powered up it appears to stabilize, but none of what I have describes above bodes well for on location monitoring - especially with clients watching the big screen. Some sparklies are in the DisplayPort signal also that don't seem to go away and appear in different places on the screen. Power cycling the unit usually gets it to settle down eventually, but I fear that this particular unit is going back for replacement soon. I'll talk to B-M tech support first and report for other users what solutions if any they recommend.
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
The BlackMagic HDLink 3D has 2 separate BNC inputs for Left/Right Eye data steams, and a single BNC HDSDI output for either side-by-side, over/under or Line by Line or a single-stream output of one of the Left/Right data streams. There is a DisplayPort adapter which is also active for conversion with an small inexpensive adapter to HDMI to feed a 3D HDTV set's input.
I read your post, then squinted at the specs found on BM's site... BNC SDI/HD-SDI input only, right? Way too fancy and hi-tech for my needs in that case. Since my camcorders have only HDMI and composite video outputs, I'd require additional HDMI-to-HD-SDI converters as well, unless I'm mistaken.
Petri Teittinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 06:52 PM   #23
Tourist

B-M 3D HDlink V3.5

I used the 3D HDlink with a 40" Samsung LED 3D monitor on set the other week. It works well. Here's the set-up I used.
2 Sony EX3's (genlocked and TC synced) took the dual HD/Sdi signals and put them into the BM Design 3D HD link. Used a Display port to HDMI adaptor and a 1.4 HDMI cable to connect to the 40" 3D monitor with 3 pairs of active shutter glasses (also Samsung). Connected the BM box using USB to my Mac book pro. Confirmed that I had the latest firmware update from BM design. V3.5. We had live 3D monitoring on set. Hope that helps.

Jeff Cools
Jeff Cools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #24
Major Player

Jeff, did you have any audio sync issues with the BM 3D to Samsung? I'm still trying to sort out if there's an audio delay issue with the SDI muxed output, but the HDMI output seems to be in sync.
Old November 1st, 2010, 02:18 PM   #25
New Boot

Anyone tried 29.97fps/59.94i sources?

Just wondering if anyone had used the HdLink 3D fed by L+R HD-SDIs at 1080i59.94 (29.97fps) to a HDMI 1.4 3DTV? Thanks,
Richard Needham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery > Dashwood Cinema Solutions