nNovia Quick Capture A2D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Datavideo DN-xx Series Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Datavideo DN-xx Series Recorders
Formerly known as nNovia QuickCapture QC A2D2 other nNovia products.

Old March 16th, 2005, 01:56 PM   #1
Tourist

nNovia Quick Capture A2D

Does anyone know if the .mov files can be imported into imovie?

I am using nNovia A2D,imovie and OS 9.22.
Cliff Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:54 AM   #2
Regular Crew

nNovia quick capture A2D

I am considering this unit to go on the back of a Panasonic AG-dp800p s-vhs camera. I was considering getting a DV camera but the cost is so high when you want 1/2 inch lenses, Anton Bauer mounts and the SD cameras are now transitioning to HD, ect. I was originally attracted to this idea when I read about the new Firestore device but it only captures DV via firewire. This unit by nNovia has a breakout cable to capture analog. It has the Anton Bauer mount.

Is this a bad idea? I really like everything about the dp800 other than s-vhs. Too bad they don't have a 26 pin connector to run the A2D directly from the camera like a VTR. Maybe they do, I sent the company an email about it.

Is Analog to digital going to be worse than straight DV?

http://www.nnovia.com/prodquick_captureA2D.html

I figure this can get me through the transition to HD over the next couple years. I need to keep the dp800 around because I need the s-vhs format for long event production.
Jerry Mohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:47 AM   #3
Trustee

do you currently edit with the dv format on the computer? if so, you'd be transcoding the svhs anyway.

one problem might be if your panny camera needs repairing in the next couple of years, it probably would not be worthwhile to maintain an svhs camera... there would be little to no roi if you wanted to sell it.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 08:47 PM   #4
Tourist

Data Logger

Not using a tapeless system (mini DV actually) but here's some preliminary stuff I did with data logging using a video system that may be of interest to everyone here. Sorry for the washed out video quality.

I'm using a low-res bullet camera out the back of a zx6r and recording to a Sony mini DV camcorder. I built a custom data logger to extract data from the existing wiring harness. I also built a wired remote camera remote control unit since all of this is stuff under the tail.

Currently working on a version with inputs for 3-4 bullet cam inputs, a IR lap timer input and an internal camera remote unit. Also am toying with a GPS that may be simpler to use but costs a lot more.

Al
http://media.putfile.com/track334/original
Al Toma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 06:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

nNovia Quick Capture

Does anyone knows if this DTD works ok?
I am considering to buy the 40GB version...
Any comments will be appreciated.
Cesar Rubio.
Cesar Rubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #6
Tourist

nNovia

I've used their A2D for the past year with only one problem that nNovia fixed very quickly.
Ramey Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Elliot:
Thanks for your response...
What is the difference between the AD2 and the QC?
And also what was the problem that you had with your AD2?
Do you use tape as a back up?
Cesar.
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:31 AM   #8
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar Rubio
What is the difference between the AD2 and the QC?
And also what was the problem that you had with your AD2?
Do you use tape as a back up?
Cesar.
Hi Cesar,

I'm not sure what "QC" is (unless you made that up from the units name "Quick Capture" in which case it is just the name Nnovia gave this devise), but A2D is "Analog to Disk" as opposed to D2D (a.k.a DTD) (Direct-to-Disk). These are all contrivances - someone had the idea to write D2D instead of writing Direct-to-Disk, it's like Y2K for "year two thousand". The Nnovia Quick Capture is an "A2D" (analog-to-disk) device.

The Nnovia is different from the the other D2D devices because it captures using the analog video signal from the camera instead of capturing via Firewire. This has the advantage of that you can capture direct to the Nnovia from any video camera. The down side is that the Nnovia has an adapter cable that looks like an octopus with all of the possible inputs for audio and video. And the signal goes through a conversion process, which I would think, would have an (even if minimal) effect on their end quality.

I hope that this is a help

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Daniel..
Yeah I quote "QC" for Quick Capture.
Cesar.
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #10
Regular Crew

The thing that I dont like of the QC is that has a
5400-RPM HD...I wish it was 7200-RPM.....
Cesar
Old May 11th, 2006, 05:55 AM   #11
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar Rubio
The thing that I dont like of the QC is that has a
5400-RPM HD...I wish it was 7200-RPM.....
Cesar
Cesar all these devices are 5400RPM (max) HD's because that's what speed most 2.5" hard drives run at. It's also probably a heat issue as well. 5400rpm has plenty of overhead for the 19 - 25MB/s of HDV.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:21 AM   #12
Regular Crew

John:
Thanks for your reply...you might be right....
Cesar.
Cesar Rubio is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Datavideo DN-xx Series Recorders