Any recommended external HD's for direct record? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Datavideo DN-xx Series Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Datavideo DN-xx Series Recorders
Formerly known as nNovia QuickCapture QC A2D2 other nNovia products.

Old January 25th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Any recommended external HD's to direct record to

Apologize upfront for not doing first a more thorough forum search .

Am volunteering to help a non profit with the A/V needs and they are ready to begin investing in some equipment.

Currently am using my Sony PD170, hardwire Lav. mic and a few lights.

The majority of projects at this stage consist of interviews.

To help make the Editors life a wee bit easier could someone recommend the gear needed that will allow me to record to it and Mini DV tapes at the same time. This way I can hand off the device to the Editor instead of a pile a Mini-DV tapes.

Indulge me one little twist. Since a number of the Subjects are Musicians there might include a recording of their performances.

Along with a tripod mounted camera I also record live music using Glidecam handheld. Are any of these devices (External HD ?) battery powered ?

The budget is around $1500.

appreciate any recommendations.

Ken

www.azmusichalloffame.org
Old February 18th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #2
Major Player

One possibility is nNovia drives.

I'm considering one of these myself, though I can't get off the fence about it. They're a bit pricey, and I think it might cost more than your $ 1,500 budget. (So, ultimately, it doesn't fit your situation).

BUT, I've been told they recently...and without fanfare...came out with one that can handle MXF file format. (I have an HVX-200) Learning more about that may just get me "off the fence."

The biggest drawback for me is that the signal goes out via firewire, hence no date/time stamp is available other than looking through the viewfinder. I need date/time for legal, so it wouldn't exactly meet my needs.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #3
New Boot

nnovia

A2D solutions work well.

~scott
Scott Morabito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #4
New Boot

2GB limit

Because the nnovia boxes format as NTFS, file sizes are limited to 2GB which = 8mins.

I haven't experienced dropped frames on mine.

~scott
Scott Morabito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #5
New Boot

OOps

I meant FAT32!!
Scott Morabito is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Datavideo DN-xx Series Recorders