Focus Enhancement Vrs Nnovia at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Datavideo DN-xx Series Recorders

Datavideo DN-xx Series Recorders
Formerly known as nNovia QuickCapture QC A2D2 other nNovia products.

Old March 13th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Focus Enhancement Vrs Nnovia

Which is better and why? If there is already a thread for this please guide me there.
Note: I edit with Mac FCP and PC Vegas. My cameras are the JVC HD-200 and Sony vx2000. Use both SD and HDV. 720/24 & 1080/60.
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #2

I'm using both. The nNovia is much better made than the Firestore. However, Vegas seems to have a problem handling clips from nNovia. I've contacted both Sony and nNovia customer support about the dropped frames. Sony blames nNovia, nNovia blames Sony...LOL

The firestore is considerably cheaper than the nNovia unit. altho' the nNovia unit uses replaceable hard drives and has a solid state drive option. Experience on long record sessions with the Firestore, it will drop frames about 45 minutes into the record process. At least, this has been my experience.

Seems none of these solutions are perfect. I'm waiting for Cineform to release SOLID...a solid state recording device. No moving parts.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Bill--

I found your comments were interesting. While I haven't experienced the drops after 45 minutes that you mentioned, I've never been able to solve the problem of audio glitches at the automatic clip boundaries when making continuous recordings (e.g., a stage performance). This has been true with both my original FS-1 (with different hard drives), and my FS-4. Matt McEwen worked with me quite a bit on the problem, but it was never resolved. It's only apparent in the audio path -- the video is fine. On an expanded timeline in FCP, you can see 1-2 audio frames missing. (Apparent in FCP-4, 4.5, 5 & 6) My solution has been to cut-in a short clip from the DV tape at the clip junctions.

Other than that, I've had very few glitches with either Firestore unit.
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #4

Vic...

It wasn't just dropped frames....an entire 2 gig clip was corrupted and unuseable. I have a theory it's related to a very poor IEEE1394 connector design, but, I can't be sure. I can''t trust the firestore unit and never run it without tape as a backup.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
The firestore is considerably cheaper than the nNovia unit.
I'm confused. I thought that the firestore was a lot more expensive? Just a note, I will be using the hd-100.
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #6
Major Player

Yeah, now that you mention it, I also had some major file corruption problems -- more than just dropped frames. As I recall, it was with the FS-1; in all cases, though, I run a DV tape for B/U. I'm too chicken to put all my eggs into one basket. Plus, it gives me the footage I need for the boundary problem mentioned earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
Vic...

It wasn't just dropped frames....an entire 2 gig clip was corrupted and unuseable. I have a theory it's related to a very poor IEEE1394 connector design, but, I can't be sure. I can''t trust the firestore unit and never run it without tape as a backup.
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Lee,

The short answer to your original question is nNovia, because of the disk file system.

Both companies make multiple models, and ultimate usefulness and features may vary with different cameras, frame rates and NLEs. In my case I shoot only HDV 60i with Canon XH A1 and HV20 cameras and edit with Avid XP. I tried a Firestore FS-C for a day, returned it, and got an nNovia QC HD40 (which was much cheaper than the FS-C.)

Consider this argument. It is common to just record directly to a laptop with good results (and free software). But who would ever want to use a laptop formatted in fat32? Firestore is formatted in fat32 probably because it is the cheapest way to get a mac/pc compatible disk. So the firestore fat32 disk forces file brakes at the 2 Gig limit. Simply loading sequential files into an HDV timeline will loose about one half second at each break point, unless you use dos commands at the computer level to generate a large file from the smaller ones before going to Avid… a real pain in any case.

NNovia, however, uses neither fat32 or NTFS. They developed their own file system designed around video recording, with built in safeguards. The clever little unit then “appears” to be either fat32 or NTFS to the computer that it connects to (user selectable, and easy to switch without reformatting).

For me, nNovia wins hands down in terms of data security, and also in terms of command simplicity, and ergonomics. The controls on the end, instead of the face, made it easier to fabricate a tripod mount. The nNovia hard drive is so well shock mounted, that I simply cannot detect a hard drive running in the case.. no sound, no vibration.

Also, I recommend a Tekkeon MP3450 battery to power either unit.
Terry Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #8
Major Player

Can I record 720/24 HDV and transfer it right into FCP?
Old March 17th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Terry --
Thanks for your comments. I've been looking for a way to record video without tapes, but I use both mac and pc. I've experienced the horrors of the FAT32.....
Jordan Orberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #10
Major Player

I have been using the QCHD120 from Nnovia and even written a review on my site which was republished here in the Articles section. The Nnovia unit has been working well for me over the last month and when used together with the Small camera mount it is easy to use and the cannon G battery lasts all day no problem. It is easy to use as the screen and bottons are on the front so there is no trying to look on top of the camera to see the screen or anything. The biggest part for me though was the support for NTFS which means long shots are all in one file, plus the fact that you pick NTFS or Fat 32 after filming.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #11
Trustee

I have a question does the nnovia drive communitcate with the GY-HD100 like the Firestore Dr-1000 does? Do you get Timecode? Talleys? disc remain? Etc.?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Datavideo DN-xx Series Recorders