Problems with HDV codec going from AE to FCpro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old August 6th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #1
New Boot

Problems with HDV codec going from AE to FCpro

Hello, I’ll try to make this as short as possible.

I’m working on a HDV compositing project where the workflow is FCP 5.04 (rough cut) to AE7 (compositing) and back to FCP 5.04 for mastering and output to tape via a Canon XH-A1.

My problem exists when playing back a rendered QuickTime in FCP from AE.
The footage does not play back smooth (skips frames) and the image quality looks slightly degraded. I’m rendering with the HDV 1080i60 codec. However, the rendered QuickTime plays fine in QuickTime.

I also tried exporting an Apple Intermediate Codec HDV 1080i, which actually plays fine in FCP, but there is definitely a loss of quality. I would like to keep the whole project, which is all video footage (no graphics or effects) in the HDV 1080i codec. (ie, FCP to AE to FCP workflow). Is this the right workflow? Am I using the wrong codec/settings in my AE render? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

*The native footage and FCP timeline are as follows: (Rough cut and Master)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Easy setup HDV 1080i60, 1440 x 1080
Pixel aspect ratio 1.33
FPS: 29.97
Upper fields first.

**After Effects Composition settings are:

(I created the comp automatically by dragging the actually footage to the “Create New Comp” button in the Project Viewer.)
Preset: HDV 1080/29.97
Width: 1440
Height: 1080
Pixel Aspect Ratio: HDV 1080/DVCPRO HD 720 (1.33)
FPS 29.97

***Here’s my AE Render settings:
Format output HDV 1080i60
Width: 1440
Height: 1080
Upper fields first
Best Quality
Oliver Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #2
Trustee

Do you export from FCP to AE? If so, you don't want to use HDV, as a matter of fact you should stay away from HDV as soon as you finished doing your rough cut. Every time you export to HDV you are transcoding and loosing data, if you do a round trip you will end up with significant loss of information.
Old August 13th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #3
Major Player

Is it skipping frames or dropping frames? If it's skipping and looks degraded I would check your RT settings -but what does it matter if the final video/or exported quicktime looks good?
My workflow would be to export quicktime (not conversion) with current settings assuming your RT setting are all high/dynamic.
Import into AE, which for me interprets my footage automatically and de-interlaces -you might not want that so set it to none.
Then I export as animation, which is the best quality I know of (but will need to be rendered to play in FCP). Ofcourse you should check that your setting in AE are best aswell, clicking the qaulity box in your timeline etc...
But again, it's the final version that matters, not what it looks like in Final Cut.

And ofcourse try to avoid exporting from final cut to AE at all by just using the media in your capture scratch.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects