DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Compositing and Effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/)
-   -   After Effects CS3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/102691-after-effects-cs3.html)

Ronald Wilk September 2nd, 2007 03:36 PM

After Effects CS3

Hello:
I recently purchased Creative Studio 3, Intel/Mac version, and installed same. Since that time, the Adobe updater has been attempting to download the Open GL update (8.0.1) for AE but has been unsuccessful. The download tends to begin in a normal fashion and then, about 20 or so MB's into the download, the process will abort and is replaced by a message that says "... the download was unsuccessful. The file that you are attempting to download has changed on the server." Several calls to Adobe tech support did not resolve the problem and in fact, on one occasion I was told that the file does not exist or does not exit yet. A search of the Adobe website did not reveal the file in question thereby ruling the possibility of a manual download. Oddly enough, a review of several forums seems to indicate that others have successfully obtained said update. I wonder if anyone else has run into a similar problem with the Intel/Mac version of the software?

William W. Holcomb September 4th, 2007 04:47 PM

Mine updated fine - no problems at all. Is there an ftp site that you can go to that would have an executable version of the update?

Ronald Wilk September 11th, 2007 10:57 AM

Ae Cs3

Hello:

Thank you for your reply.
I have been in contact with Adobe and, unfortunately, at the present time there is no FTP available for that update. They did make several suggestions, however, none of which were effective in allowing me to obtain the file. Since I doubt that I am the first person to experience this sort of mishap, it would behoove Adobe to allow for an alternative download method. My communication with Adobe, although quite cordial, left me with the impression that if their suggestions did not work that I was SOL ... a very sorry corollary for an expensive piece of software. Without Open GL capability, AE's reduced functionality makes it less desirable. Fortunately, I am not left in the cold and have and use both Boris Red 4.1 and Shake 4.1 and will clearly continue to do so.
Best regards.

Jim Day September 11th, 2007 03:34 PM

I just received and installed Production Premium CS3 yesterday and after updating the entire suite, I continue to get the message that AE needs to be updated. When I select to go ahead and update it, the update loads and appears to install, but the next time I run the "check for updates" it still says AE needs the update.

That said, if I look at the splash screen on startup or in the about menu of AE, it shows it is version 8.0.1. So, what I think (of course, I could be wrong) is that AE is updated, but for some reason the Adobe updater doesn't recognize it.

Daniel Ross September 13th, 2007 06:03 AM

I'd suggest taking your computer to another internet connection and seeing it if works there.
That's the only real chance at this point, it seems.

Or call them and say you lost your CD. The update would be included now, would it not?

Or, really, just download the free trial of CS3, then use your serial number.

Ronald Wilk October 6th, 2007 11:35 AM

After Effects and Cs3

Well, I have not had any success in my communication with Adobe regarding the the open GL update for After Effects CS3 and the original download problem persists. I am rather disappointed with Adobe and the nonchalant way they deal with issues of this nature, particularly, with respect to a costly piece of software such as the Premiere Production bundle. So, I have decided to fill my effects requirements elsewhere, namely, Shake 4.1 for compositing and Boris Red 4.1.5 for compositing and effects along with a few other useful plugins, including Motion 3.

Thank you all for the insightful suggestions.

Jim Day October 6th, 2007 04:44 PM

I don't think that using a different internet connection would make any difference since the updates for ALL other programs of the CS3 Production Premium upgrade just fine. It is just the update of After Effects that continues to say it needs that update.

Again, like I mentioned above, even though it tells me the update was not successful, if I go to the "About After Effects" it shows the latest version.