AE 7 won't turn let me use 32 bpc - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old September 18th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #16
Regular Crew

You could try starting After Effects with Ctrl+Alt+Shift (on Windows, or Cmd-Option-Shift on Mac) held down, which will recreate the preferences file.
K. Tessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #17
Major Player

Problem Solved!

Thanks everyone - it's working now - I deleted and reinstalled the application!

So, drastic I suppose, but it did fix the problem - you all helped, I wanted you to know that.

Cheers!
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #18
Major Player

Glad it's working. But no clue what was wrong? I'm curious.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #19
Major Player

It seems the problems aren't over...

After Effects now says it's working in 32 bit mode. The filters I apply look a bit smoother than what my original renders looked like. The codec I'll be outputting to is a 10-bit codec (Apple ProRes 422 HQ), and as I've read by Mike Curtis on HD for Indies, TEST and make sure it really is outputting 1024 levels of gray (10 bit) rather than 256 levels of gray (8 bit). Mike's suggested test makes a lot of sense:

"1.) Are you SURE you’re getting 10 bit output from your CS3? Often one has to edit text files to make sure the codec enables 10 bit output - see

http://www.hdforindies.com/2006/06/a...-tips-and.html

2.) If unsure, render a black to white gradient, left to right, on a 1024 pixel wide frame, to your ostensibly 10 bit codec. Bring it back into your AE project. Does each pixel moving right change one pixel in brightness? If they change in jumps every 4 pixels, you’ve got 8 bit output."

So, in AE, working in 32 bit mode, I made a new compostiion and.. what the hell.. even before I render OUT, the grays jump 4 levels every time I move my mouse over one pixel, not 1 level per each pixel move as they should!! I can *see* the banding as well.. what .. this shouldn't even be happening now, only if/when I export. I'm in floating point mode for crissakes!
Old October 27th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #20
Adobe Systems

Is this After Effects 7 Standard or Professional?

Is this After Effects 7 Standard or Professional?

Here's what the "About color depth" section of After Effects 7 Help says: "In After Effects, you can work in 8-bpc, 16-bpc or 32-bpc color mode for each project; 16-bpc and 32-bpc color modes are available only in After Effects Professional."

BTW, there's no Standard version of After Effects CS3, so this confusion shouldn't happen with the new version.

(Sorry to respond so late, but maybe this will be helpful to someone else with the same issue.)
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #21
Major Player

Todd, I'm using the Pro version.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 07:13 AM   #22
Contributor

Don''t know enough about Macs but could it be something as simple as your screen resolution (maybe set to 16 bit colour instead of 32)? Seems unlikely...

Apart from that maybe a clash with the driver version of the ATI card you are using - check for the recommended driver on Adobe's site.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 03:52 PM   #23
Major Player

This problem has existed before the drivers were updated (I installed the new drivers a week ago). Problem still exists. In the new year, I'll install a fresh copy of Leopard - we'll see if this fixes things.
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Glad you got it working for you...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects