Mulitiple codecs but one final compression at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old September 18th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mulitiple codecs but one final compression

Hi Guys,

So i have amassed a good few clips over the last month ranging from video to motion graphics.

i need to compress them all with dv compression in AE but the problem that i seem to be having is when rendering.

half of them will render and the other half cant. all video is 720x576 pal and they have all gone through the mill with codecs.

some of the clips i know have went from raw avi to indeo video 5.1 to uncompressed and obviously this is not ideal.

How could i resolve this i only know of some clips that have certain codecs

also the all of the clips have been re-render to no compression so the file sizes are ranging from 100mb to 500mb if that makes a difference?

If you have any questions please ask! thanks :)

Liam
Old September 18th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #2
Trustee

The problem is not clear to me. If you converted all of them to lossless why should one half render and not the other? Did you use multiple lossless codecs (e.g., huffYUV, lagarith)?
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm confused as well.

1. Never compress with multiple codecs. Work in uncompressed (uncompress the original files if they were DV, etc.), then only compress as the final output of the final uncompressed file.
2. If you have compressed files, I suggest uncompressing them now, then doing the best you can with that output after.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Error message

Hi guys,

Right i'll explain a little better. first of all here is the error message that i get when i try and render them out to DV compression...

After Effects error: image size or format not supported by compressor, or there may be a hardware or memory problem. (53 :: 30)
17/09/2007 21:58:28: Finished composition “comp1”.

my machine spec certainly is good enough so it must be a compressor issue.

so i rendered all of the clips to lossless from the files that i had. i think basically what has happened is i have used many codecs and its just knocked it to pot.

i'll try and uncompress them and see what happens from there.

Cheers

Liam
Old September 20th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #5
Major Player

I'd suggest going into the advanced options and customizing "lossless". Don't use the ('lossless') animation codec-- use none. That will make the file about 2% larger, but it might also save a bit of data loss (though it claims it doesn't, and I use it myself fairly often, since I can't find any differences), and i've heard there are errors when exporting with it. See if that helps.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects