DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Compositing and Effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/)
-   -   Can you use AE with FCP? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/106620-can-you-use-ae-fcp.html)

James Carver October 26th, 2007 10:50 PM

Can you use AE with FCP?

is it possible to export my AE (CS3 version) graphics work (lower thirds, muzzle flashes, blood squirts, etc) with a transparent background into FCP over my video footage? if so then what is the exporting process?

Daniel Ross October 27th, 2007 01:30 AM

Just export the clip with an alpha channel. Go into the output settings, then video, and choose "RGB+alpha", etc.
Bring the clip into FCP, and it should just work.

James Carver October 27th, 2007 10:19 AM

hi daniel that's what i did and when i bring it into FCP it has a black background.

what am i doing wrong?

Alex Sprinkle October 27th, 2007 12:31 PM

i dunno if FC shows the alpha channel like AE, have you tried dropping something behind just to be sure?

James Carver October 27th, 2007 01:00 PM

i'm not sure. i'll tell you exactly what i did though.

i made my edits to a 30 second commercial in FCP. Saved that project and exported it to a quicktime file.

then i imported the quicktime file into AE and created some text effects and a coupla graphics. then i turned off the layer with the video before exporting it out of AE again and just selected rgb+alpha channel.

then i imported the AE graphics/quicktime file and placed it above the original project in FCP and i am not able to see anything execpt my graphics from AE. it doesn't overlay on top of my video footage inside FCP.

i was thinking my AE graphics/text effects would line up and you would be able to see everything (video in FCP that's on the layer under it) in the background??? kinda like when you work with FCP & motion graphics.

Matthew Johnston October 31st, 2007 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Carver (Post 765836)
i'm not sure. i'll tell you exactly what i did though.

i made my edits to a 30 second commercial in FCP. Saved that project and exported it to a quicktime file.

then i imported the quicktime file into AE and created some text effects and a coupla graphics. then i turned off the layer with the video before exporting it out of AE again and just selected rgb+alpha channel.

then i imported the AE graphics/quicktime file and placed it above the original project in FCP and i am not able to see anything execpt my graphics from AE. it doesn't overlay on top of my video footage inside FCP.

i was thinking my AE graphics/text effects would line up and you would be able to see everything (video in FCP that's on the layer under it) in the background??? kinda like when you work with FCP & motion graphics.

Change the composite transfer mode of your AE layer to screen?

Nate Schmidt October 31st, 2007 07:47 PM

When you export from AE try using the animation codec and then "millions of colors+" make sure you get the + as it represents the alpha channel, it works for me when I do it that way.