Suggestions for 3D logo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old October 29th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Suggestions for 3D logo

Hey guys, I'm planning to do a logo with some potentially complicated effects and was wondering if you guys might have some suggestions for me, if it's even doable with the software I have available - Kinemac, Motion, Shake, Illustrator, and Photoshop.

The logo itself is just text, and I would like to start it out as if it's embedded in a sheet of glass. Then as the camera slowly rotates, the text breaks away from the glass and rises up, tilting to meet the final position of camera. I know I can handle the camera movement and 3d text using Kinemac and Motion, but what would be the best way to go about making the glass crack as the text breaks away from it and also having tiny shards of glass fall from the text as it rises?

I would like this to look as crisp and clean as possible and of course will add some good sound effects, so any suggestions you guys might have for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Hmm... you might get away with a filter like "Shatter" in After Effects, or its cousin in any other program; I'd guess there is something similar in Motion. However, despite looking somewhat cool, it may not look real. There's a glass mode for the shatter effect which actually looks the most realistic of all the options, but I can't say it's completely convincing.
Using AE, you could do all of that motion, and probably the same with Motion.

I don't know Kinematic, and Illustrator won't do too much for you; like Photoshop, it just does stills and you're going to end up with a bitmap images when you import into those programs, most likely, or at least a bitmap once you export, so Photoshop is the way to go for the design/original image.

You also should look into a real CG program if you actually want a "real" 3D look, rather than 2D layers in psuedo-3D-space. 2D programs can do well, but it won't be the same as a fully 3D app, though that will be harder, as well.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #3
Trustee

Look into Blender

www.blender.org

The best 3D software for the money! it's free and is almost as good as programs like Lightwave.

It does have a steep learning curve however.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects