FX Filters that change with the sound of the clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old November 3rd, 2007, 05:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FX Filters that change with the sound of the clip

So let's say I have a clip with a filter on it (contrast, threshold, whatever) I want an attribute of the filter to change according to the trend of the sound that accompanies the clip.

So if I have a clip of a man talking, If he isn't speaking, there is no effect, if he is whispering, there is a little effect, if he's yelling, the effect is very pronounced.

How can I make this happen? What software do I need? I have FCP and Motion. But I can get access to other things through my school if need be.
Chris Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 05:32 PM   #2
Major Player

You may want to check out After Effects.

With the 'Turn Amplitude Into Keyframes' (I think it's called) setting, you get a number, I believe 0-1 or 0-100, of percentage of max volume. You can then tell any setting on any effect to use this value. For example, the sound clip of a flickering light (zzzt-zzzzt) could change the opacity of the video layer, giving the appearance of the light flickering, set by the noise.

C
Carl Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Good advice, or, really, you could just look at the waveform and do the same thing by hand in any application. Might be a bit slow, but shouldn't be too hard.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #4
Major Player

Another good resource for AE.
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials.html
Although I would do it by hand if the clip wasn't too long, like over 10 minutes.
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects