Best way to simulate Betacam SP "grey lines" (Guard Band Noise)? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old November 8th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Best way to simulate Betacam SP "grey lines" (Guard Band Noise)?

Here is my problem...

I need a good Betacam SP "grey bar" simulator since my project is HD and I don't have a Beta SP deck.

When rewinding, pausing, or fast-forwarding a Betacam SP tape, the grey line effect is one that I absolutely admire and would love as a VFX plugin or whatever plugin. Does such a plugin that accurately simulates these grey lines exist or does it need to be made first or do I have to capture from a real deck to achieve full authenticity (which definitely is not possible for me)?

I'm running Sony Vegas 7.0e.

Edit: After a little bit of research, What I'm trying to simulate is correctly known as "guard band noise".

http://www.matrixav.com/images/betacam_faq_gray.gif

Anyway to simulate this as of yet?
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #2
Major Player

I honestly don't really know what that means, as I've never used Beta, but is there any way to have this projected? I know you can rig stuff like 8mm grain by projecting to a white screen, then "add"ing or "multiply"ing in the composite mode (FCP) or transfer mode (AE). Is this the same kind of thing?
Alex Sprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I took the image from this page:

http://www.matrixav.com/html/tech_info/betacam_faq.htm
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #4
Inner Circle

This is not the particular effect you're looking for, but what about doing that with VHS?

(Of course there's a different look there. But you probably have access to VHS.)
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I realize that effect can be done with VHS but our VHS machine will not generate a grey line but rather static missing video.

Plus the higher resolution of a VFX plugin would be more wise than a SD to HD transfer. I'm searching for a solution to this for HD projects yet still keep a high resolution (no upscaling of real SD Beta SP footage), I want to simulate analog jogging in HD with the grey lines.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects