Working with HDV (pixel aspect ratio correction) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:00 AM   #1
New Boot

Working with HDV (pixel aspect ratio correction)

So in After Effects I set my composition as 1024 x 768 (I'm working with HDV footage which is 1440 x 1080 and have scaled it down to 1024 x 768)

I'm working in correlation with Photoshop as I set a layout by 1024 x 768. If I set toggle pixel aspect ratio correction in After Effects it looks fine but once I export a still to photoshop it looks shrinked. And if I set the pixel aspect ratio in photoshop the image looks way bigger than 1024 x 768.

How would I go about doing this... I'm so confused lol.
Peter Jun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 07:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Are you setting aspect ratio correction in photoshop as well? it also has the option!

C
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:10 AM   #3
New Boot

yes, however once I check it in photoshop it is larger than 1024 x 768. If I uncheck the aspect ratio it goes to 1024 x 768 but everything looks shrinked.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:16 AM   #4
Major Player

It sounds like your aspect ratio settings are incorrect in After Effects.

What aspect ratio are you using? 1.33? As well, are you sure that you scaled it equally height vs width?

What is your final output medium? Print? Web? If it's to be viewed on the web, you don't want AR Correction on in photoshop - you want to see what the viewer will see. Print would be the same way. Going back to HDV, titling or something? Keep it on. That's what your viewer will see.

In a nutshell, unless you are going back out to video, you don't want AR Correction on in photoshop. turn it off, and stretch it out by 33%. This will leave you with the square pixels you so desperately desire. ;)

Carl
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:23 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Middleton View Post
It sounds like your aspect ratio settings are incorrect in After Effects.

What aspect ratio are you using? 1.33? As well, are you sure that you scaled it equally height vs width?

What is your final output medium? Print? Web? If it's to be viewed on the web, you don't want AR Correction on in photoshop - you want to see what the viewer will see. Print would be the same way. Going back to HDV, titling or something? Keep it on. That's what your viewer will see.

In a nutshell, unless you are going back out to video, you don't want AR Correction on in photoshop. turn it off, and stretch it out by 33%. This will leave you with the square pixels you so desperately desire. ;)

Carl
Thanks for the help Carl,

So basically I'm trying to to make a flash video for the web. The video was shot in 1440 x 1080 but I have scaled the size down in After Effects since it is going to be for the web.

My composition size is 1024 x 768 (am I supposed to check the lock aspect ratio to 4:3?)

If I create a new composition my video doesnt look like square pixels, but once I check fix aspect ratio it looks fine. However once I export the frame to photoshop it doesnt look square pixeled. So if I want to work with an exported frame in after effects to photoshop am I supposed to resize it in Photoshop everytime?
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:26 AM   #6
New Boot

bascally what I'm trying to say is that I want to work with the After Effects screen shot frame that has the fixed aspect ratio (square pixels) in Photoshop at 1024 x 768.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:28 AM   #7
Major Player

Fix aspect ratio only fixes the preview on your screen - not the actual imagery!

So you're only correcting it for your viewing pleasure :) Gotta run, sorry I couldn't be more help!

C
Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:01 PM   #8
Regular Crew

1. Go to composition settings
2. set the resolution you want and put square pixels
3. select the composition
4. go to layer-->fit to comp (I dont remenber exactly in which menu)

now you have your comp with square pixels
Martin Chab is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects