SM Ultra 2 -v- Adobe Ultra CS3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old January 1st, 2008, 03:54 PM   #1
Inner Circle

SM Ultra 2 -v- Adobe Ultra CS3

Is there a difference or is the Ultra CS3 version identical to the old Serious Magic v2?

Any new virtual sets?

Cheers,

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 03:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I can answer my own question. Apparently the only difference is that the Adobe version introduces Vista support.

It does appear that Adobe has pretty much sunk the Serious Magic products - people aren't happy over at the Adobe Ultra forum or the Serious Magicians forum. Some of the complaints:

No new Master Sets Libraries
Still no 16:9 support without a workaround
Support is from the community, not the vendor
The formerly highly regarded SM staff have disappeared (presumably on their yachts!)
Appears to be no upgrade path from v2 into the Adobe line without buying the whole CS3 suite.
Ultra, DV-Rack (or whatever it's called now), etc are apparently not being showcased at Adobe tours (can't confirm this).

Sad - but not surprising, I guess - that such a promising set of tools gets eaten up by a bohemoth like Adobe.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #3
Trustee

Sadly, Ian has summed it up pretty good. One of the most innovative companies in the industry has been rendered (no pun intended) obsolete.

Why did Adobe even buy SM? Makes no sense to kill off some greate products. I own Ovation,DVRack, and Ultra and consider them among the best software purchses I've ever made.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects