HELP!! Dynamic Link for Dummies! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old May 8th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HELP!! Dynamic Link for Dummies!

Ok, so I must be retarded...

I have a series of clips in PPCS3 that are edited together, for about 4 minutes worth of video.

Now, I want to drag that into AE CS3 and add some special effects, i.e. Vignetting, old film look, etc.

What's the right way?

Thought I could use Dynamic Link, but I must be retarded and can't figure it out.

Before, I was outputting the sequence, bringing into AE CS3 as an MP4, then altering it and Dynamic Linking back into PP CS3. Is there a better way?
Craig Lieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #2
Trustee

You can simply import the PPro project inside AE. From AE press Cmd/Ctrl-I, select the PPro project, choose "all" when AE asks which sequence you want to import, after a few seconds you should have an AE prject with a comp for each sequence in PPro and all the assests imported as well.
Old May 9th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Mmmm, that ain't working...it brings in the assets in raw, unedited format, while I'm trying to bring in the edited sequence.

to be clear:

I've built a sequence in PP CS3...it's done. Ready to go. It needs only some special effects applied.

I want to get that clip, which may only be 1 minute of an 8 minute clip, into CS3.

To bring in all the assets from the 8 minute clip into AE is not going to work.

I just want the 1 minute of the 8 minute clip, intact, into AE. Is there a way?
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Lieberman View Post
Mmmm, that ain't working...it brings in the assets in raw, unedited format, while I'm trying to bring in the edited sequence.
There should be a sequence-turned-comp in the folder of the project
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #5
Trustee

old film, vingetting ? you can very easily do that all directly in Prem Pro without going to AE. PP is a decent compositor on its own
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Steve;

I can't seem to find those presets. Can you describe the process? Are you doing this with Masks?
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #7
Trustee

vingetting effect is as simple as placing a TGA with alpha on the top most track with dark corners and clear center.

as for old film, no there are no presets. you need to define what old film is - then grab the filter combination to do the job. if its nothing more then duping the clip, blur, apply mode, thats pretty straight forwards. maybe a tint or levels filter.

if you have BCC filters they have a couple of filters that work very well.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:28 AM   #8
Major Player

Hey Craig,

What about putting the 1 minute of footage inside a nested sequence that sits within the full 8 minute clip - then import the 1 minute sequence into AE?

Just an idea - I haven't used Dynamic Link much but thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Cheers,

Matthew.
Matthew Ebenezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #9
Regular Crew

That's what I've been doing...obviously, I have to render out the 1 minute clip in some fashion...either as a .mov or .avi, whatever, then bringing it into AE.

I was looking for a shortcut with Dynamic Link, which appears to link AE BACK to PP CS3....it does NOT link PP CS3 directly to AE. Weird, and yet another example of Adobe PP's silly idiosyncrasies.
Craig Lieberman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects