exporting issue with HDV footy.. some help? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old May 19th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

exporting issue with HDV footy.. some help?

Hey guys, ...SO, ...I've spent hours trying to figure this out myself but getting no where.
I was learning how to make some slow mo footage with AE(HDV 60i --> HDV 24p at 50% the original speed) and finally got that figured out, but now I'm trying to get the clip back into FCP and this is where things are strange.
I don't have any clue as to what settings I should use, what method I should use, or why my 16:9 1080p24 clip is being stretched vertically into a square box every time I try exporting?
Can anyone help me out??
Thanks in advance!
Bryan Wilkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #2
Major Player

HDV is actually 1440x1080, and plays back as 1920x1080. Where are you getting the distortion, in AE or FCP or QT? AE has a button on the bottom right of the video that looks like a rectangle with arrows, this will toggle the display. It shouldn't be a problem anywhere else.
Making a movie in AE: there is a There are a few settings you can use. HDV, Pro Res, or Animation. It all depends. If you can use pro res in FCP, you may want to avoid HDV codec!
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

hrm.. mostly the issue is that it appears squished in QT, when i bring it into FCP it stretches out as normal but needs rendering...
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #4
Major Player

Something may be wrong then. If you have an HDV sequence, and your movie from After Effects is HDV of the same resolution and frame rate, you shouldn't need to render. On the other hand if the movie is animation or apple pro res it would need to render.
The best thing to do I think, is finish editing your project in FCP, then before your final export change your sequence render settings to apple pro res, you'll have to re-render but the quality will be better than rendering HDV. At this point it would be good if your clip from AE was apple pro res, but it may be a pain since you'll need to render during the editing process.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

thats why i was asking what settings i should use to get my clip OUT of AE, because thats obviously where something isn't right. it keeps coming out in a 4:3 quicktime file, i dont know what formats or settings i should/could use to bring my clip back into FC. ..anyone??
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #6
New Boot

you need to set the pixel aspect ration 1.333 along with the screen aspect ration letterbox or 16:9. HDV has rectangular pixels and is how it fills a 1920x1080 screen with 1440x1080 res.
Tom Devine is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects