What software was used to do this? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old June 12th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #1
Major Player

What software was used to do this?

http://www.animatedecovers.com/preset.html

I know the 3d images (jpg) are created in photoshop, but what software is being used to add the animation to the image?

Thanks,
T
Troy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Looks like After Effects.

You can render 3d images in Photoshop and then import them into After Effects and add some simple animations. The layers and such applied in photoshop will be recognized by After Effects immediately, so as long as the image is in a 3D space it will have all 6 sides of the box present.

For example, the "Sneaky Jump" move looks like the original image had a Bezier Warp applied and animated to it, so that it bends left and right, and then the position was animated up and down, with another warp so the bottom bends out. All this with some drop shadow, and motion blur applied and these are the final results you can get with After Effects. The other shadows may be created by Lights that can be applied and animated in After Effects, all of which have the capability to cast shadows against any layers in their way.

If you haven't touched AE before, the aforementioned may seem like a foreign language, but if you pick up your own copy it's small talk.

Cheers!
Andrew Hoag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

for me it looks like any 3d software (3dmax, maya, or whatever), no photoshop, no After Effects here
Martin Chab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Chab View Post
for me it looks like any 3d software (3dmax, maya, or whatever), no photoshop, no After Effects here
true, but the new vanishing point in CS3 can get some pretty wicked 3d results.
Andrew Hoag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Major Player

I have AE7 and Maya, but very little experience using Maya. Are there any good demos on the net where someone is making a object bend, twist, flip, etc?
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Chab View Post
Since they require you start with an Photoshop template, it looks like they use indeed PS files animated in some video animation software.
Old June 14th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #7
New Boot

any 3d package could do this.
The effects or modifiers are bend, twist and squash N stretch with the squale tool.
I believe this was done in 3dsmax.
Everts Alredjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew

removed by poster, wrong forum

Last edited by Ray Bell; June 15th, 2008 at 07:32 AM.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everts Alredjo View Post
any 3d package could do this.
The effects or modifiers are bend, twist and squash N stretch with the squale tool.
I believe this was done in 3dsmax.
Everts,

I have a version of Maya from 2 yrs ago. I haven't used it a lot, but wanted to know if it has similar features? My goal is to be able to create the 3d image in Photoshop as a JPEG and then add the animation in the 3D package. Is this possible in Maya or will I have to get 3dsmax?

Thanks,
Troy
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #10
Tourist

Hi Troy,

Have you thought about asking the people who designed the animated ecover site? You never know they might be able to help you out more than a load of people on a forum guessing?

Worth a shot, don't you think

Darren
Darren Kaye is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects