DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Compositing and Effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/)
-   -   making video look like a Shaw Brothers film (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/137820-making-video-look-like-shaw-brothers-film.html)

Nathan Quattrini November 15th, 2008 10:17 AM

making video look like a Shaw Brothers film

For those of you who don`t know, Shaw Brothers was a production company in the 70`s well know for the release of Hong Kong action movies, martial arts, wu shu based films etc. I am looking to make some footage feel like one of those kinds of old movies. I have the Adobe Suite CS3 and am looking on help on how to make the video look like that as well as how to make the sound all distorted like it is in the films. Here is the trailer to one of the more well known releases

YouTube - The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978) - Original Trailer

Aric Mannion November 15th, 2008 03:14 PM

Here's an experimental trailer I've made:

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=11156798

Here's a real trailer for an actual short I've made, but not meant to look like an old film.

YouTube - Monkey Trailer

You can add film filters, and record your audio poorly (overblown). A lot of it is aesthetic and creative choices, it's not all technical.

Bob Hart November 15th, 2008 07:49 PM

My recollection of the published way they did things was to film silent and do all their sound work afterwards. I understand they also would undercrank the camera slightly for action sequences but I may be wrong.

So my guess is that if you could shoot 25P and lay this footage down on a 30P project without correcting, you might get the look.

Nathan Quattrini November 19th, 2008 10:05 AM

Aric, what kind of filters did you use on the first? What software were you using. Its the color I am more aiming at, not sure I want to use the dust scratches as they always look fake ... but I do ant to get that kind of paled look. My film is a current time style but we want certain parts to look like the old HK films (its already all filmed), just need to work with making look like that.

Aric Mannion November 19th, 2008 11:23 AM

I think the film effect is important, but I can understand if you don't want it for a present day movie.
What you probably want is to adjust the color and add grain.
I would do that with after effects, but the method varies from scene to scene. That's the creative part. If you need a place to start, play with the levels, tritone tint, and saturation.

Oh, and Bob had a good suggestion, I think what it translates to is converting your footage to 24p. Even though the rest of your project is probably 29.97, it will add stutter to the scene.

Bob Hart November 19th, 2008 08:02 PM

Alec.

I fear I may have misled you because of my Australian accent.

What I was suggesting was, some action films of the times would shoot the action sequences with a slightly slightly slower frame rate so that the action was speeded up at normal playback speed.

The intention was to sell the faked faster martial arts moves without it looking like it was action speeded up. Some car racing films of the times used the same trick carelessly done and they looked really cheap.

Aric Mannion November 20th, 2008 02:12 PM

Oh I see! By the way, I think people from Australia actually have a certain cultural connection to kung-fu movies, because you guys are the ones responsible for the awesome dubbing (I really mean that). By the time it gets to North America, the Chinese jokes that don't makes sense outside of China have been changed so that the story is coherent, but with accents and nuances that aren't so familiar to North Americans.
The outcome is a really comedic because of our interpretations of your translations (and because the movies themselves are comedies). I enjoy watching Shaw Bros. films re-mastered in there original form, but I also watch the same film in there deteriorated dusty film conversion with Australian translations. The two versions feel like totally different movies and are enjoyable for different reasons.
There were some amazing voice actors back then, english dubbing today kind of really sucks.