Photoshop/ Illustrator or Plugin used for comicbook style at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old November 24th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Photoshop/ Illustrator or Plugin used for comicbook style

What would be the fastest way to create this comicbook style effect or rollover motion effect? see attached.. also seen in the Rocknrolla trailer... RockNRolla

It is used all over all the time and I am sure there is a plugin that will make it easy to get in the ball park?? instead of the intensive work I am doing now.

If there is a thread somewhere I did not see it.

Well this is a full blown motion graphics job by Danny Yount and it is fantastic see the rest here...

RockNRolla main title : Prologue Films
Attached Thumbnails
Photoshop/ Illustrator or Plugin used for comicbook style-style.jpg  
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Without knowing what software you are creating you video projects in it is hard to answer appropriately but here's some ideas....

Fastest methods.....

New Blue has a cartoon effect plugin that works within Vegas. I have seen posts that it was being offered for free for a while, not sure about currently.

After Effects CS4 has an excellent new plugin included called....Cartooner. Here is an example of what it can create...

RevoStock | Royalty Free Stock Video Backgrounds | Right On Grafitti Rap

That is just one way to use that particular plugin. You can adjust lines/shading to creating various cartoon looks.

Better results/more control method......

Having said that the best way is still probably the hardest way.....rotoscope or key you footage very precisely and then work with the footage through various methods like color corrections, plugins or render out still frames and take them into Adobe Illustrator and batch live trace the stills with very specific settings for colours and details. This allows for a great deal of control, and can even allow you to create vector art that can scale infinetly.

All the best,
James Hooey
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks! I have that free plugin for Vegas and although nice is not really what I am after.. I have been doing it the hardway in After Effects and photoshop... But now that I see the new CS4 plugin that will help to get in the ballpark a lot faster I think and will speedup workflow.. looks like I gotta buy the upgrade..
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects