HDV or Pro Res for importing into After Effects? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old December 15th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Major Player

HDV or Pro Res for importing into After Effects?

I edit in Final cut and do effects in after effects. As I understand it HDV is not so great, and I used to capture in "apple intermediate codec" (which is time consuming on my computer) to avoid losing quality from the HDV codec during capture.
BUT I've been advised to capture/edit in HDV and export my final videos as Pro Res, which is quicker for me and apparently causes no quality loss.

So I have my Final Cut timeline, with an HDV timeline which I plan to export as Pro Res as the final step. Accept what do I do about the clips that need effects done in After Effects?

Do I import the HDV clips into After Effects directly from the capture scratch?

Or do I export the clip I want from Final Cut as "Pro Res", and import that into After Effects?

I want to maintain the best quality since I'll have to render them out of After Effects... I guess as animation codec, to bring back into final cut.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #2
Major Player

What I do with shots I know are going to need certain effects is handle them in fcp first. Bring them in one at a time under prores, export an mov. Rinse/repeat ad nauseum until I have all my "vfx" clips together in one folder. Bring the entire folder into ae.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects