Looking for Lens Distortion effects in AE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old January 7th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Looking for Lens Distortion effects in AE

I'm working on a project that will be projected on a circular screen, hence need to apply a curve to the top edge of the video. (Three projectors, rear projected on to a cylindrical screen.)

I've done this successfully in Vegas Video (see http://www.villamil.org/itp/n360/cyc...st-gradual.mp4), but need to do it in After Effects for higher resolution.

All the effects I've found in AE that seem to do this are very oriented towards local distortion - I can't find anything that does a simple smooth curve.

The Warp effect, using ArcUpper, is close, except that it squeezes the outer edges inwards as it applies bending. I need for the verticals to stay absolutely vertical throughout the warping process.

Mesh Warp looked promising as well, using 1 row and 2 column mesh, but the stretch is not evenly applied along the vertical edges.

The Vegas Lens Distortion effect did this perfectly, in one shot.

Any suggestions?
Gian Pablo Villamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The reshape effect. Draw a rectangular mask the exact size of the footage, and duplicate it. Then convert the upper & lower edges of one of those masks to beziers, and curve them to your taste. The reshape effect will then accept those two masks as 'input' and drag pixels from the rectangular pattern up or down to match the bezier pattern. I don't know how 'accurate' it will be, but it's another option.
Andrew J Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Tourist

Yes, I'd try the reshape effect.
Declan Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks, Reshape looks very promising. Looks like I need to study up on editing masks...
Gian Pablo Villamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:02 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Any Luck?

I finally got motivated to try this out myself.

Masking can be tricky, but the effect itself is also a bit particular.
The attached zip file is my AEP file, AE version 7.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for Lens Distortion effects in AE-reshaped-output.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip OvalDistortion.zip (5.8 KB, 67 views)
Andrew J Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I ended up using the Warp effect.

I'm in a situation where the amount of bending had to be adjusted a lot, and the Reshape effect needed a lot of work to get the corner pins to stay put.

Given the small amount of warping that I'm applying, the slight vertical "taper" effect that Warp creates wasn't a problem.
Gian Pablo Villamil is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects