DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Compositing and Effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/)
-   -   Beginner's AfterEffects literature (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/141701-beginners-aftereffects-literature.html)

Brian Boyko January 16th, 2009 04:26 PM

Beginner's AfterEffects literature

Looking for recommendations for someone trying to get started with AfterEffects. Like AfterEffects for Dummies (though there's probably better books out there, which is why I'm creating the thread.0

Devin Termini January 16th, 2009 05:09 PM

There are handfuls of books written on the program. I haven't found a book that compares to live demonstration.

A great place to get started is at videocopilot

After Effects Basic Training

Tripp Woelfel January 16th, 2009 06:20 PM

Agreed that Video CoPilot is a great place to start. If you want more thorough training on the whole product, you might want to go to Learning @ Your Own PaceŽ - lynda.com. There are some beginning segments available for free and you can get a month subscription for US$25. I would recommend lynda.com highly.

Eric Lagerlof January 21st, 2009 01:03 AM

"Creating Motion Graphics with After Effects" by Chris and Trish Meyer is an excellent book on After Effects. It helps beginners and will serve as a reference for years to come. I've read a number of software books and this one is at the top of my list. What was one book might be divided into a basic and advanced version now, but very good stuff.

Ian Stark January 21st, 2009 05:07 AM

I totally agree with the "watch it" rather than "read it" sentiments here. I used the Total Training materials and it went in a lot easier than the books.

Having said that, I also recommend Angie Taylor's Creative After Effects 7 (obviously it doesn't cover any of the new features in CS4, though). It is a great project based book and suitable for novices who like to get straight in there and work on real projects. Personally, I found it to be the only book that is (almost) on a par with video-based training in terms of comprehensibility, structure and pace. A few reviewers have commented on an abundance of typos but I wasn't overly aware of anything showstopping - different versions of AE? A dodgy print run sold by the discounters?
Amazon.com: Creative After Effects 7: Workflow Techniques for Animation, Visual Effects and Motion Graphics: Angie Taylor: Books

I also go along with the recommendation for Creating Motion Graphics with After Effects - another great source with less of an emphasis on book-length projects.
Amazon.com: Creating Motion Graphics with After Effects: Essential and Advanced Techniques, 4th Edition: Chris & Trish Meyer: Books

Finally, After Effects Apprentice, also by the Meyers, seems to getting very good reviews and may be worth checking out (I haven't read the book).
Amazon.com: After Effects Apprentice, Second Edition: Chris and Trish Meyer: Books

Tripp Woelfel January 21st, 2009 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Lagerlof (Post 998320)
"Creating Motion Graphics with After Effects" by Chris and Trish Meyer is an excellent book on After Effects.

I'll also chime in in favor of Chris & Trish's work. They're extremely well versed in AE and have gobs of experience. I remember meeting them years ago at a trade show and they helped us set up some of our demo projects at a trade show, an old MacWorld Boston I think.

At the risk of stating the obvious, some will benefit more from video tutorials whilst others do better with books. It all depends upon what kind of learner you are. You probably know which works best for you. One is not intrinsically better or worse than the other.