Put 2d animation on tin at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old February 16th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #1
New Boot

Put 2d animation on tin

Hello,

I have 2d animation and I would like to put it on a tin which
would be rotaiting. Any ideas?

Thanks
Bohumil Stanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Major Player

You make a 3d cylinder in a 3d program using a basic cylinder primitive = then put an animated material on the tin can. I've not tried this personally but as long as the 3d program allows for animated materials it should work.

Blender is an open source free 3d program (blender.org) - not as intuitive as I'd like, but it's free and some amazing animations have been created from it.

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #3
Major Player

I don't know how to do this, but After Effects and Photoshop has advertised the ability to make simpler 3D graphics like a soda can and a label to rotate in after effects. It actually looks a bit complicated to me though.
I took a look at After Effects CS3, and there is an Effect under Perspective called CC Cylinder. It wraps the image into a cylinder shape and you can decide the radius, but that is all that it does. If you make a camera you can rotate the camera around it, which seems to be the only way to rotate the image, with this effect.
I don't think this will work for you if you are trying to actually put a label on a live action tin? But you may be able to get away with the CC Cylinder effect if you had an image of a flat rectangle (of the tin with a label on it), to make into a cylinder in After Effects. Then you could just rotate that, but if you have to see the top or bottom lids of the tin it gets a bit more complicated.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Re an animated label, I think Cinema 4D supports that sort of thing - when I have some time later tonight I'll open it and see if I can do it - I might also look at Lightwave to see if I can figure out how to do it.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 08:13 PM   #5
Inner Circle

OK, I got it working in Cinema 4D

I'll post a link to the animation as soon as I finish dinner, but I think it's what you were wanting to do. Should have it up in an hour or two.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:56 PM   #6
Inner Circle

OK, here's something I did in Cinema 4D in about 15 minutes - not particularly elegant but I think it's along the lines you were asking about. If I'd had a little more time to play with it I could have had liquid and ice cubes sloshing around inside the glass or pouring out onto a table or something thanks to a fluid dynamics simulator called RealFlow.

Fairly simple - I defined a plane and applied a wrap deformer to wrap it around a cylinder, applied an avi file to the plane as a texture and then "stuck" the deformed plane onto the outside of a glass and then rotated the glass around a couple of axes to prove that the animation ran OK as the glass rotated.

www.j-e-andrada.com/label.avi

I think a similar thing could be done in just about any decent 3D package.

Anyhow, just a long way of saying that yes, it can be done. Only caveat is that the learning curve on these 3D packages is sort of straight up and (except for Blender) they aren't cheap. If this isn't something you expect to do a lot of you might be better off finding someone in your area to do it for you.

Last edited by Jim Andrada; February 23rd, 2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old February 24th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Offset, warp effects (or something similar), and a source light.
Dan Quintero is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects