Compositing Greenscreen footage with "challenges" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old February 20th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Compositing Greenscreen footage with "challenges"

i'm working on a project where i have two people in front of a greenscreen. the problem is, these two people have a green and yellow logo in their hats. they were told not to wear any green, etc. i'm not sure why they did it anyway, but i'm just getting the footage and they want to know what i can do to make it work anyway.....any ideas? what is the best way to solve this issue?

oh, they're unable to reshoot the footage due to everyone being in different states, countries, etc.
James Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Fairly static, or a lot of movement and how close are the two greens....? Post a frame grab at least..
Old February 20th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

for the most part they are looking straight ahead and occasionally turn their head to the left or right where you can see green words on the helmet. here's two screenshots. one is when they are looking srt8 ahead and the other is when they turn their head.
Attached Images

James Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
A garbage mask should help you out. One more layer, one more step, more render time but that doesn't look too bad.

Edit: just saw the printing on the side. THAT may be a little harder.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
A garbage mask should help you out. One more layer, one more step, more render time but that doesn't look too bad.

Edit: just saw the printing on the side. THAT may be a little harder.
Unless the subjects in the video are going to be moving around wildly you should be able to do as Shaun suggested with good results.
John C. Plunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Looks like the logos are an essential part of the final product? Especially if that's the logo of the client.

You could try tracking the entire helmet, then attach a rotomask to that tracker. Make manual adjustments where the rotomask strays from the proper position.

Or just rotomask the offending area and track by hand with keyframes. This one shouldn't be too hard.

I had to do a bunch of rotomasks for a commercial spot. One shot involved a woman and two kids running toward their SUV. It included a girl's ponytail and constantly changing shapes. Took five hours to rotoscope a clip that ran for less than four seconds.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects