DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Compositing and Effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/)
-   -   how to make a wall break? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/146060-how-make-wall-break.html)

George Logothetis March 17th, 2009 06:16 PM

how to make a wall break?

Hallo all!!

Is there any preset or i have to compose my own wall?

I want to put a girl in the middle and just see the walls break (down or blown away).
Can I do this with layers and images? Or its only possible with 3d?

thanks in advance

George

Aric Mannion March 18th, 2009 09:21 AM

I would suggest constructing a miniature wall and blowing it out some how. Dust it with baby powder for a foggy after math. The point is to film every element needed in the shot except for the performer -keeping in mind where the performer is in the space, and what she does.
Once this is done you can look at the footage and see where and how she must react and film her with a green screen. The further from the "wall" she is the easier the composite will become.
In the final shot you can add digital fog over everything which will tie the image together as one.
Alternatively You could also play with the "shatter" effect in After Effects -which looks kind of fake. But if you are willing to have the shot rather short a sudden shatter effect and explosion may look real enough in a glance...

Shayne Weyker March 18th, 2009 09:59 AM

Lynda's excellent AE tutorials are here

Online Training - Tutorials - lynda.com

The essential training for CS3 has a one basic tut on the shatter effect and Beyond the Basics CS3 has a whole section on it. Not amazingly realistic, but pretty easy, flexible, and impressive.

And yes if you want the wall to blow up without the person in front of it blowing up then they'll need to be on seperate layers. Difference matte may be what you need in this case.

After Effects CS3

Free trial subscriptions to lynda.com are available, including (last I checked) a week-long one if you google around a bit.

--Shayne Weyker

George Logothetis March 18th, 2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aric Mannion (Post 1029679)
I would suggest constructing a miniature wall and blowing it out some how. Dust it with baby powder for a foggy after math. The point is to film every element needed in the shot except for the performer -keeping in mind where the performer is in the space, and what she does.
Once this is done you can look at the footage and see where and how she must react and film her with a green screen. The further from the "wall" she is the easier the composite will become.
In the final shot you can add digital fog over everything which will tie the image together as one.
Alternatively You could also play with the "shatter" effect in After Effects -which looks kind of fake. But if you are willing to have the shot rather short a sudden shatter effect and explosion may look real enough in a glance...

Thanks! figured it out. Went gr8

Dan Quintero March 19th, 2009 04:53 PM

If you do it using a miniature, make sure to get an extreme depth of field and shoot it in slow motion. There's a whole load of things to consider when you shoot miniatures, most of which deal with how we interpret an objects size in relation to it's surroundings and movement. Two buildings, one large one small, with the same ratios, will fall to the ground at different speeds.

If you're just looking for a simple effect, find a wall texture and shatter it with CS3's plug-in/preset/thing'a'ma'jig.