Subtract One Image from Another? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:30 AM   #1
Trustee

Subtract One Image from Another?

Does anyone know what type of effect/filter/method I can use to subtract one image from another?

By "subtract" I mean having the resulting image equal to a pixel by pixel representation of what chroma and luma would have to be added to the first image to get it to equal the second image.

I've seen this type of effect used for comparing compression techniques against an original image. If there's no visual difference, the resulting image is a uniform dark grey or black. If there is a visual difference, it shows as various squiggles representing detail that has been lost and artifacts that have been added.

Thanks much for any help :).
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 06:49 AM   #2
Trustee

I haven't done this myself, but I think this is a "difference key". You don't state what software you're using, but I believe this is available in Premier so it might also be in AE.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:22 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I know there are easier ways to get to this but its early and I'm still nursing my morning
coffee...

In Aftereffects....

down on the time line panel... hoover the mouse over " source name " right click
and choose columns then check " Mode "....

when the mode button shows up it will show " normal "... click the normal button
and the drop down will show you all of the layer modes... in there you will see
"difference" and " classic difference "

also... your setup may already have the modes checked, if so then just click and you will
see the drop down for all of the layer modes....
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #4
Trustee

Hey guys,

I don't have AfterEffets, but I do have Avid MC, Vegas, Boris Red, Boris CC and TMPGEnc Xpress. I've looked through their effects lists from something that sounds like a difference key. I'll keep on looking.

Thanks very much for the help.
Old April 4th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Ok.... you might ask the same question in the Vegas area... I'm sure there has to be something that will do the same thing in Vegas..

or if you have it you could bring it all into Photoshop extended also....
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #6
Trustee

Ray and Tripp,

I found it! Thanks much for your help. Boris Contiuum Complete has a Compostie effect with the choice to take the difference between two tracks by setting Apply Mode to Difference.

Thanks again for steering me in the right direction ;).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects