I need a greenscreen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old May 7th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I need a greenscreen

Hello, I need a high quality greenscreen setup that will allow me to get a good, clean key from footage shot with a Sony HDR-FX1. It needs to be at least 10x15 feet. Any suggestions on what brand/model I should buy, or suggestions for mounting it so it won't get wrinkled?
Thanks in advance
Mike Wham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

EEFX.com has excellent green screen material.

It unwrinkles on its own. Lights up very evenly. It's lightweight. You just need a couple of C-stands and a 2x2 to hold it up with some gripper clips.

As for shooting in HDV, I haven't keyed with that format so I can't vouch for how it would work.

Also, software makes a big difference. I'm using Primatte.
Old May 7th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The number of backdrops you can get is endless and you can do it dirt cheap these days (read: $0.67 poster boards from target even work well). Get a muslin backdrop and a proper stand kit for >$200 these days if you're going to be doing it often.

It's all about properly lighting it though, so you should definitely be paying more for your lights than your green screen backdrop (or being really creative in using industrial lights and makeshift diffusers/gels. And of course, as said above, the software used is Key, I use After Effects (Keylight 1.2), love it.

I key from HDV footage often and have no problems as long as the lighting is on. That doesn't go to say that 4:2:2 footage won't make it easier and need less work to get to the same end product, but HDV works fine.
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #4
Major Player

In my experience shooting on an EEFX green screen with my Z1U, I made sure the green screen was lit evenly, but NOT lit too hot.

You don't have to blast light on it to get it to key for you.

The other VERY important item is to run several tests BEFORE you shoot the important stuff.

If you have the Adobe suite, take a laptop and On Location with you. Set up your green screen with talent, grab a frame, take it into After Effects, use Keylight, and see if you're getting what you want.

If you need a good tutorial on Keylight, check out VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials & Post Production Tools

Hope this helps.
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I'll add my vote for the EEFX screen. I used to use the cheap muslin cloth from TubeTape but things like wrinkles and reflectivity made for more work in post.
Ken Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Major Player

I have a lot of canvas that I painted chroma green, I just roll it out to shoot. I've also tried one of those big stupid discs that fold out, but not only are they smaller than my canvas they are more cumbersome and awkward to carry around. The other thing I've tried are random sheets and mats that are brightly colored, a lot of people say that they work fine but it's not true. It needs to be as similar as possible to the chroma colors, you can even match the color at home depot, but don't use random greens and blue.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #7
Regular Crew

it also depends on the environment and condtions you work in. As I travel quite a bit and some times the people I interview can't come to a studio I use reflecmedia. It's pricey but the flexibility and results are great. Don't need to carry with me many lights (if any), fast setup and easy to get good results. you can fold it, wrinkles don't effect the quality of the key you pull. I used it with my old FX1 and was very pleased. they have a large fold out version which fits my needs but they also sell bigger sheets that perhaps are more suited for your needs.
Datavideo also recently came out with a similar system for much cheaper, I haven't tried them out, but they seem to work. I'm wondering if the two systems are interchangeable.

Just a side note, if you are going to use the FX1 be sure to deinterlace the material to get the best results.
Jonathan Massey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects