Blood Effect on White cloth background at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old May 10th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Blood Effect on White cloth background

I want a blood effect on a white cloth background.
On close ups I want to see the blood splatter happen in real time, so I am using
I was wondering,
Later on I want the blood to appear on the cloth covering the wall on different shots. How will I add this in digitally?
Will it be easy enough to take a still frame of the blood then paste it on in after effects/adobe prem? Like an video/still overlay?
Would u suggest that I keep the back wall absoulutly clean of fake blood,
take all the close up shots of blood splatter on a seperate cloth
and then digitally add in the blood effects in post?
Is this going to be relatively simple to do?
Gary Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Gary,

If you are going to add something in later in post production, and your shot is locked off (on a tripod that's been locked down so there is no movement in the shot) then it might not be too difficult to do what you want.

If your shot is panning, zooming or moving, it will be much more difficult to get a believable effect.

A great place to start would be to take a look at this tutorial by Andrew Kramer: VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials & Post Production Tools

Another good reference is Mark Christiansen's book: Amazon.com: Adobe After Effects CS4 Visual Effects and Compositing Studio Techniques: Mark Christiansen: Books

Hope this helps.
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi Gary,

Not sure what look you're trying to achieve, but some of the the stock footage from Detonation Films might help.

Unit_K

cheers
James
James Henley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Major Player

I made this experimental video back when I was in school.
YouTube - Haime the Movie
It's done w/ blood squirting in front of white paper -which I keyed using a Luma or color key effect. I think it works fine to key out squirting blood over white.
But I'm not clear if you want to key blood from white, or if you actually have white cloths on set and need to splatter blood on it.
If I understand you correctly, you want blood to splatter on some type of surface in your movie? If you actually want the blood to come in contact with something you should just do it on set. If you can be more specific I could offer some suggestions.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects