Two effects questions: kaleidescope and 3D-Font like effect at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old June 15th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Two effects questions: kaleidescope and 3D-Font like effect

Hopefully some After Effects gurus can help me with these two.
I've wanted to make a kaleidescope effect on some footage. I played with the one in the effects library, but it's not really what I had in mind. I was told by someone else I could probably use the mirror effect, but I haven't figured out the best way to do it.

Also, anyone have any idea how to make a text-effect like this? There's really no animation involved, but it's not just as simple as adding a massive shadow I don't think. I tried doing that and my results looked pretty poor. Anyone have any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Two effects questions: kaleidescope and 3D-Font like effect-effect.jpg  
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Effect

Although I cannot tell you how to accomplish the desired effect in After Effects ( I own but have never used) I can tell you that what you seek can be easily produced in Boris Red.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #3
Major Player

After Effects doesn't do 3D text all by itself (at least, not yet). Ron is right, as Boris Red and Boris Blue can create 3D text. Or, if you have access and the know-how, you can create and render the 3D text in something like Maya or 3ds Max. If you know how to use programs like Photoshop or Illustrator, you can create the 3-dimensional effect by hand. Since you say there isn't any animation involved, you should be able to do it rather quickly too. Google up some searches on "3D text Photoshop tutorials" to get started.

As for the kaleidoscope effect, the best one I know of is the one that comes bundled with After Effects. I think it was one of the CC effects, but I don't have it in front of me right now. For 3rd party software, you might try looking through plugins by Digi-Effects or GenArts Sapphire. They can get kind of pricey if you're only looking for one plugin though...
Shawn McCalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Major Player

That's excellent advice. Thank you both so much for the replies!
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 04:51 AM   #5
New Boot

Hi Craig,

You can force a 3d text effect in After Effects using the Shatter effect. Apply Shatter to your text then go to the effect settings.

Under Shape set the Pattern to 'Custom' and the Custom Shattermap to your text layer.

Under Force 1 set the Radius to 0.0.

Under Textures set the Side Mode to 'Colour' and change the Colour to black or whatever colour you want.

Under Camera System choose 'Comp Camera'. Make sure you have a Camera above your text layer and you can now use the Orbit Camera and Pan tools to move the text around and get the angle etc. that you want.

Now go back up to the Shape settings and play around with the Extrusion Depth. You might need to move the camera around to see what's actually happening, but you should have 3d-looking text. Obviously it's not truly 3d, but if you don't want much animation that shouldn't be a problem.

Re. the Kaleidoscope effect have you tried Pete Warden There is a Kaleidoscope effect in his plug-ins for AE which might do what you want.

Hope that helps

James
James Henley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:32 PM   #6
Major Player

Wow, thanks for the instructions! I'm going to try all that right now.

Also, I never knew about Pete Warden's plugin collection for AE, so I'm eager to try 'em out.
Going to install right now as a matter of fact!

Thanks again everyone
Craig Irving is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects