Scrolling in AE with different height sources at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old July 31st, 2009, 03:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Scrolling in AE with different height sources

Ok, I never liked Algebra; perhaps somebody can give me a hint...

I've some Illustrator sources in After Effects for scrolling end credits--normal stuff, do the position keyframes, etc. The Illustrator files are different heights--some are taller (more text) than others. What's the best way to calculate the duration/keyframe locations, in order to ensure that the different files appear to be scrolling at the same speed? Right now I'm just tweaking the key frames with the comps stacked, and eyeballing the scrolling to make sure nothing is lagging behind.

Surely there's a better way...

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 05:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Scrolling

Hi Matt - sorry my algebra isn't great either, so I would be tempted to do iether of two things;
Go into Illustrator and make one long thin graphic of all the titles imported in sequence then just keyframe the beginning and the the end positions of that single layer in AE
or
Convert all the layers to 3D, stack them above one another in order, create a camera and keyframe the beginning and end positions of the camera as it moves down them.
(or learn algebra I suppose:-)
Hope that might help?
Gregory Gesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 06:29 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi Matt,

A variation on Gregory's second suggestion above might be to stack the layers then parent them all to a null object and set the keyframes on that null.

James
James Henley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Henley View Post
Hi Matt,

A variation on Gregory's second suggestion above might be to stack the layers then parent them all to a null object and set the keyframes on that null.

James
Yes, I think the null is the best tool in After Effects.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #5
Major Player

Well, I eyeballed it for this particular project, but the next one (which is in flight, so not long to wait), I will definitely give the null thing a go! That sounds really intelligent. Probably why I didn't think of something like it...Eventually I'll get through my "Learning After Effects" book.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects