DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Compositing and Effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/)
-   -   After Effects Help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/31128-after-effects-help.html)

Michael Chen August 28th, 2004 07:31 PM

After Effects Help

Hey guys,

I got a question.
After doing a few layers of effects on after effects, the final output of the video quality drops.

I output the file as avi, but it seems like there is a big drop in quality. The quality is close to mpeg.

I've searched the forum , and I am using the setting as mentioned in another thread.
The settings that I use is,

Make Movie
1)Best settings
2) Full Resolution
3) All on

Anyone knows what's wrong?

Mike Rehmus August 28th, 2004 09:35 PM

What did you pick as your codec?

AE renders superbly with any number of layers so it has to be either your source material or the setup.

Michael Chen August 29th, 2004 12:37 AM

The source material is pretty clean.

I've set the codec as none (uncompressed) just to try out, but the quality is pretty low.

Any idea what could be the reason?

Mike Rehmus August 29th, 2004 11:20 AM

Michael, I don't have enough information to tell you. All I can say is that I've been using AE since version 3.1 and I have no problems whatsoever with quality no matter how many layers and how many things I do to the video.

Try rendering a single source through AE and see what happens. If it is not very good, then you do have an incorrect setting somewhere.

Just a thought, what field did you select as the First?

Pat Engh August 30th, 2004 01:01 PM

I have the same problem.. with 5.5 Standard, I've posted numerous posts on the Adobe's forum, and have called Tech support a number of times, I've given up... I just use the Quick Time setting to render with the Compressor set to animation...

I can't tell the difference when it comes to rendering graphics but when it come to video I can definitely see a loss of quality.

Mike Rehmus August 30th, 2004 04:51 PM

Well guys, there is still something wrong with your settings.

I mean, AE is used for HD compositing.

And plenty of people use it every day for serious work as do I.

Very often it is the last piece of software used to glue all the 3-D and 2-D elements together for a movie.

Michael Chen August 31st, 2004 06:23 AM

Dear mike,

I suspect it has to do with the field problems.

I tried setting it to off.
Also tried bottom field first if i'm not mistaken but to no avail.

Should I try out upper field first?

How do i determine the proper field setting btw?
I have output them into Microsoft DV PAL setting ,and the quality is no good.

Mike Rehmus August 31st, 2004 09:12 AM

DV is always lower field first, Michael.

Why don't you post your output settings?

Another thought: You have selected the proper import items when you import the video, right? Including field order which could be different if it is not DV. Importing footage can be wildly different from exporting footage with regard to settings.

And made certain that the quality on each item in the timeline is set to max (it is the little diagonal line that you can switch from right to left)?

Michael Chen September 1st, 2004 03:36 AM

The source material is dv as well.

So I suppose I need to set the import to lower field, and render to lower field as well?

I'll try it out soon and post back on the result. Thanks for the help.

Lars Siden September 1st, 2004 03:45 AM

Hi,

How do you render?

Do you go to Composition -> Make Movie

In the dialog you got several options like "Render Settings" - should be "Best setting", "Output module" -> Lossless ( I usually open the output module dialog and choose "audio output" aswell.

G'luck!

// Lazze

Mike Rehmus September 1st, 2004 08:58 AM

You would indeed use no compression if you are going to import the footage back into a NLE and the NLE accepts uncompressed files. Otherwise, it makes sens to render into your NLE's native file format.

Yes, Michael, you do import lower field first and export lower field first. Normally AE guesses the input setup accurately.

I set up several custom Render setups so I don't forget something when rendering.