Effects question on After Effects at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old January 26th, 2005, 07:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Effects question on After Effects

I was wondering if it is possible to add in camera flashes to a clip. And if this is possible can you please tell me how to. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

MITCH
Mitch Buss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 08:34 AM   #2
Regular Crew

what kind of camera flashes are you talking about? Camera bulb flashes? Internal Camera flash when film is exposed to light? What view point are you looking at these flashes from?

you could certainly add a camera flash to a still camera via motion tracking and a small flash effect. However, you need to be aware that simply creating a flashbulb effect will not look convincing because you will need to illuminate the area caused by the flash.

Cheers
Old January 26th, 2005, 08:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

They need to be flashes of light like people are taking your picture. is there any way to do this? Thanks.

MITCH
Old January 26th, 2005, 09:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

yes, but what is the view point?

Will we be looking at a crowd of photographers snapping their cameras, or will the viewer be looking at the person being photographed with the lights going off in their face?

And remember, just because you can easily add the flashes, doesn't mean you will get the look you desire. Remember there is the problem of lighting you have to deal with that can't be done in AE.

Cheers
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The perspective is that you are having your picture taken. You are seeing the flashes going off. I need to add in the flashes of light. The camera will be filming from over the shoulder of the person having his picture taken.

MITCH
Old January 27th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi
When I take video for the Girl guides, the wife is sometimes taking stills, this ties in very well with the effect I think Your trying to achieve, why not just fire a flash gun just to the rear of the cameraman? timed where You need it?

Regards.

Peter.
Peter Higginbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #7
Major Player

Peter -- When someone askes about adding an effect using AE, I would assume that they have already shot the footage. Obviously, a practical flash is better than an effect, but sometimes you just don't have it.

Mitch -- I've never done this specific effect, but try something like this: add a duplicate of the video layer, then add a circular mask around the flashbulb area, feathered out fairly wide. The edges of the feather should go transparent, leaving only the original layer underneath. Add brightness/contrast effect and a fast blur effect to the top layer. Animate the keyframes for both effects from zero to bright and slightly blurry then back to zero -- all within a few frames (less than 1 second). You may also want to try different transfer modes on the top layer (perhaps "overlay" or "hard light"). You may also be able to achieve all this with an adjustment layer instead of a copy of the video layer. Or with a solid white layer (w/ round, feathered mask as above), while animating the opacity as well.

This is just off the top of my head, but it should give you something to play around with. I don't have a chance right now to open AE and try it, but it should be an OK start...
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi
I realise what your saying, & after reading the posts stating the difficultys doing it after wards in post it was really a suggestion for the future, I perhaps should have said that rather than appear stupid to you.

I`ll leave it at that, say no more.

Regards.
Peter.
Peter Higginbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 10:35 AM   #9
Major Player

This might work... it's free.

http://www.buena.com/ee/cameraflash.shtml

John
John McManimie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects