DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Compositing and Effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/)
-   -   Adobe After Effects Standard vs. Production Bundle (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/4168-adobe-after-effects-standard-vs-production-bundle.html)

Scott Silverman October 7th, 2002 01:22 AM

Adobe After Effects Standard vs. Production Bundle

What are the main advantages of the production bundle of After Effects compared to the standard version? I am looking into buying one on eBay and was wondering if it was worth the extra couple hundred for the production bundle. I tried looking on the Adobe site and searching this site and couldn't find nuthin.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff Donald October 7th, 2002 05:48 AM

Hi Scott,

This is from the Adobe After Effects site.

"After Effects is available in two versions. The Standard version provides core compositing, animation, and effects tools. The Production Bundle contains all of these tools plus 16-bit color support, vector paint capabilities, network rendering, and additional powerful keying, motion control, visual effects, 3D channel, and audio tools. Any new shrinkwrap license of the Production Bundle and the Standard to Production Bundle upgrade also includes the Zaxwerks 3D Invigorator Classic, a plug-in designed for easily producing broadcast and film quality 3D graphics (not included in any other upgrades or any Education purchases).

Registered After Effects users: Find out more about what you'll get by upgrading to the Production Bundle."

There is a PDF with complete details you can down load too.

Network rendering is the big one for studios. I find the 16 bit color helps maintain better quality (DV is still 8 bit). You also get a bunch of plug-ins.

Jeff

Rob Lohman October 8th, 2002 04:18 AM

You also have better tools in PB to do color correction and such
(keying as well)... A lot of people have the PB for that. But as
Jeff suggested, download and READ the exact differences on
the Adobe site BEFORE you buy. Only you know best what you
need and what you are willing to pay for what you want.

Good luck.

Doug Quance October 8th, 2002 08:06 AM

I am not too sure about that Zaxwerks Invigorator.... when I bought After Effects PB I received a coupon for $250 off the Zaxwerks price of $495...

If you can pony up the cash for the AE Production Bundle, you'll find more than enough stuff to keep you busy learning it!!!

Jayse Hansen has a training CD that is very helpful at flattening out the learning curve. It'll get you up and running pretty quickly.

Jeff Donald October 8th, 2002 11:25 AM

The comments about Zaxwerks was quoted (copied and pasted) from Adobe's After Effects home page.

Jeff

Doug Quance October 8th, 2002 07:15 PM

No doubt, Jeff.

Unfortunately, they do want $245 plus tax (and the $250 coupon) to give you Invigorator Classic.

I was very disappointed, as I wanted it to create just one logo...

Well, when I can't think of something better to spend that money on... I'll get it.

Doug Quance October 8th, 2002 07:22 PM

BTW, if you're interested in Jayse Hansen's AE tutorial, you can find it here:

http://www.vtc.com/after-effects5.htm

It gets you into AE pretty quickly.

Scott Silverman October 8th, 2002 08:43 PM

Thanks so much you guys! You all have been of great help!

Doug Quance November 24th, 2002 02:11 PM

Update

According to Adobe, the Zaxwerks Invigorator is included.... but not if your version is an upgrade version.

I bought my After Effects online from a seller on eBay. The box was sealed, with a big Adobe label sealing the box.

According to Adobe, the software I bought must have been an upgrade to an earlier version that the seller never installed. Since it is considered an upgrade, the Invigorator is only a coupon for roughly 'half off'.

So, if you are upgrading... you know what you won't be getting.

If you're purchasing new, you should get what Adobe's website says.

Just damn.