After Effects PSD and cameras? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old November 13th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Major Player

After Effects PSD and cameras?

When you bring a PSD into AE and want to get some depth between the layers, it's my understanding that you have to move the position for each layer so that they are further or closer in 3D space. So if you move your background layer further away, it gets smaller in the frame. Bringing the scale up can compensate for this but seems like a waste of time. I have the image set the way I want it and I don't understand why I have to move things in 3D space, THEN adjust the scale of the layer just to get the image back to normal.
Seems like there should be a hot key or something so that when you drag the layer away from you, the image size does not change within the frame. We should be able to move the layers and After Effects should adjust the scale automatically to compensate. Does such a thing exist? Am I right that everyone using a camera with PSDs has to move the position AND the scale for every single layer?
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

That's the way perspective works (the farther away an object, the smaller it appears).
Daniel Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, but that's the whole purpose of depth of field and perception...

In many cases, people don't want to scale to fill the frame...
The only time your scenario is true is when a stationary background is being created..But that's not always the case..

The other option would be to have the problemed PSD layer oversized to compensate for this..3d space doesn't have x and y limits, so auto resize would be infinite.

The other option would be to use a different camera setting, and don't move the layers as far back...

I hope i understood your problem...
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Aric. Depending on what you are doing but you can leave the background layer as a 2d layer - though of course if your camera moves it won't compensate.
Gregory Gesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic View Post
In many cases, people don't want to scale to fill the frame...
The only time your scenario is true is when a stationary background is being created..But that's not always the case..
If you make hand drawn animations, the background is typically created in a layered PSD. The SIZE is right for the layers it's just the z space that needs to be changed. How would guys suggest animating something like that?
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Here in this animation test I made some years ago I had to do exactly that:
I made a gigantic background file, however in this one it was a 2D background layer which never scaled. Only the planets and space gases scaled with the movement forward. If you look at the composition from the top its loooong. So thats what you gotta do, push those items back and experiment with blur to get that feeling of depth.

YouTube - Visible From Space

This too was created with layered PSD files in After Effects. What a pain in the arse these 2 projects were to put together though haha.

YouTube - Alice

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects