I want to add sparkles to the Wedding Rings, suggestion? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:51 PM   #1
Major Player

I want to add sparkles to the Wedding Rings, suggestion?

And nothing cheesy!!
A very subtle effect that looks real is what I am looking for, for wedding videos.
I have Adobe Premier, so i am limited to some sort of overlay probably unless there is a plug in or something. Any suggestions would be helpful!

I ve thought about making a mask and taking some footage, but have not yet, but that would probably work.
Just want to see what others say!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 01:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Any ideas are welcome, even if its done in After Effects...

Anyone have a clue?
Thought about filming water sparkles, using a luma key, and then using a key framed opacity.....anyone think of anything?

You can view my website at Wedding & Corporate Video, Sacramento, Roseville, Folsom, Auburn

On the Wedding Page, play the 2nd Wedding sample and there is a shot of the bride holding the rings. I would love to add a beautiful sparkle to that shot if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Become a Facebook Fan!
Silas's Videography | Facebook
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:03 AM   #3
Major Player

well i dont know for sure, but when doing 3D and trying to get a sparkle (before 3d had those effects easily) we made a 8 point and 4 point star animation. both were thin the 8 point is Big and has tall top and bottom peaks (think bethleham type star), with smaller quad peaks. then the 4 point is a simple thin 4 point star like you might see with a Star Filter. then on one frame the 4 point, next frame the 8 point, 3rd frame the 4 point. then we put a twist on it, and angles and all that.
the Idea i was trying to mimic is a star filter effect with vertical smearing going on.
by only using the small quad for single frames or 3 frames with the Size changing from small to large then back to small again , it is in and out so fast it looks like a glint off a faucet, even though it was a kludge.

Last edited by Marty Welk; January 5th, 2010 at 02:33 AM.
Marty Welk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:08 AM   #4
Major Player

That might work.....I was hoping for a actual footage type of effect, but I am pretty good at 3d so I might try it. I use blender 3d, what do you use for 3d?
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #5
Major Player

I had used IMAGINE , long ago, but i still render some things with it that were done long ago.

you wouldnt "need" actual 3d, depending on the editing software, just have the alpha channel type pics, and some ability in the program to move them.
or even using the "text" feature of some programs , which more often have 3d, then using a nice THIN star wing ding thing.
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Probably one of the best out there is Particle Illusion

wondertouch: home of particleIllusion

There are three different vesions... the one your going to need to work with Premier is
Particle Illusion 3.0

It does a great job with just about any footage, or stills for that matter, that you can
through at it...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Barker View Post
And nothing cheesy!!
A very subtle effect that looks real is what I am looking for, for wedding videos.
I have Adobe Premier, so i am limited to some sort of overlay probably unless there is a plug in or something. Any suggestions would be helpful!

I ve thought about making a mask and taking some footage, but have not yet, but that would probably work.
Just want to see what others say!
What version of Premiere are you using? I have CS4 and applied a star filter that looked decent to some Christmas footage I had. The filter was an Adobe filter from what I recall.
Craig Coston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #8
Major Player

Well in final cut pro there's a filter called "dazzle" that is real easy and can create a natural sparkle from the lightest areas. It may add sparkles in other places too, but you can always just mask out the area with the ring and apply it to that layer only. I know you didn't mention final cut, but if you do have access it is a quick and easy filter.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Paint Shop Pro has a huge range of sparkles and I often choose a frame, export it as a bitmap, one click in PSP and you've added the sparkle, back to the timeline and add that one frame. If you're really keen you can add a smaller sparkle to each frame L & R of the chosen one, it looks more realistic but is 3x the work. Onwards.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #10
Trustee

Be a piece of cake in AE. I've even mimicked the TNT ring with particles effect after watching a free tutorial on how it was done. Trapcode's Starglow is the plugin I would tun to for this as it's in my arsenal. Have any friends with AE?
Old January 14th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #11
Major Player

or you could download the free month AE tutorial and try it out.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #12
Regular Crew

After Effects can certainly be used, and I can tell you exactly how to do it. We used After Effect's built in plugins to create everything, including the particles in our "Enchanted Waters" Motion Menu template:

However, if you want something subtle, and real looking, you might consider just adding a small lens flare that you motion track to the ring (keyframe it's position frame by frame, making sure it is always on the ring) and just have it come in then go out for a brief moment.
Jon Geddes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #13
Major Player

ProDad Vitascene plug-ins are great. It will add some sparkle to earings and rings. It has both filters and transitions. Has some film looks, glows, luma, etc. Worth every penny. Works in AE as well.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #14
Trustee

I had a bit of a play,

YouTube - put some glint on your ring.....

Sony Vegas Glint looks the most natural and is so easy to control. Trapcode would prob be good in the hands of someone more experienced than me.
Gerald Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #15
Major Player

the first one was subtle, looked great, the second looks like Guenaveres Man entrapment spell ring , from a disney flick :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects