internal or external drives for media? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old May 21st, 2010, 10:07 AM   #1
Major Player

internal or external drives for media?

Internal drives are supposed to be faster, but it's not recommended to work on them because you could lose everything if your computer breaks or is stolen. But what produces the fastest render times?
For example is it best to have your media and project on an external firewire drive and render to the internal? Or vice versa? Specifically with a Mac Pro and After Effects.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Trustee

eSATA drives are as fast as internal drives, sometimes even faster. Firewire 800 is a close second. Forget USB and firewire 400.

BTW, external drives can break just as easily as your computer. They can also be stolen too.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:33 PM   #3
Trustee

external hard drives - eSATA connection. I would stay away from firewire and USB since the standards can change soon and eSATA is the best bet. However, firewire is the next best option for rendering and using after effects. The most important thing is to always have a large amount of RAM as well.
Old May 25th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #4
Major Player

USB 3 is out now. Will likely take a bit till it's in all the new hardware but it has speeds up to 4.8 Gbps. Wish my fairly new MB had it.

There's an external Black Magic Intensity box that uses USB 3. HArdrive cases can't be far off.

I think it will pass by eSATA only because you can still plugs usb 1 and 2 devices into a usb3 port. Can't do that with eSATA.

USB 3 Connectors are the same as 1 and 2. USB 3 Cables are not.

There are also hot swappable SATA bays for hard drives.

I like externals for portability. You can move from station to station if needed. You can also grab them in a hurry if your house catches on fire!
Big deal with externals quality case. A cheap enclosure with crappy electronics can be a nightmare.
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Lajeunesse View Post
you can still plugs usb 1 and 2 devices into a usb3 port. Can't do that with eSATA.
Actually, you can. My laptop has an eSATA/USB combo port. It takes USB 1.1, USB 2.0 and eSATA. Pretty clever.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 03:36 PM   #6
Major Player

Neat.

Well if I upgrade my Brand new MB with USB3 I'll have to make sure it's a ESATA/USB3 combo.

Can't believe my new MB is lacking both!

I just installed a 2TB HD. I like that you can't accidentally unplug it.

Next I'll probably put a 2TB in an enclosure for portability.
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #7
Major Player

I run raid configured HDs externally and have backup running to protect them. Its not going to make an enourmous difference for you in AE or another compositing program though since each frame renders so slowly in most cases. Its more important in this case to get as much RAM as you can.
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #8
Major Player

I have to format my new external firewire drive for my mac. I used to select "journaled" but someone said for video it's best to be non-journaled. Which is better?
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #9
Major Player

Internal basic disc not a risk

There is no difference in formatting of a basic (non RAIDed) disc whether it is in a USB enclosure, an eSATA enclosure or on a SATA connection but stored inside your machine....so there is no difference in risk.

I think the risk people talk of is when discs are under a RAID arrangement off the motherboard or other raid controller AND THE RAID CONFIGURATION IS NOT BACKED UP. [sad voice of experience here]

I have had a nonRAIDED root discs where the boot sector went bad or OS was unbootable, moved it to a different machine and recovered all the user data off of it.

Use computers long enough and you will get much "training" you did not bargain for!
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #10
Major Player

Well... it does have to be in a format that the computers you will be using it with will read. You have to install software to read a mac filesystem in windows, for example.
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects